csrss.exe and conhost.exe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keyes

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I currently have 2 csrss.exe running under system, using 1700kb - 2156kb memory each.
Related to them there seems to be 2 conhost.exes, one using roughly 1000kb ram and 1400kb. One is SYSTEM and one is NETWORK.
I found 2 csrss.exes in my system, one In system32, one in winsxs/amd64_microsoft (with a large amount of numbers)
I found 1 conhost in system32, and 8 conhosts in winsxs/amd64_microsoft followed by numbers Like csrss.
Is this normal? I also may have seen a third conhost running, but I dont think it was attached to csrss

Keyes

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
At last! I found it was nvstreamsvc.exe using the conhost processes, which is a streaming service for nvidia.

No need to think its some paranormal trojan... process explorer has a nice feature, ctrl h on the process and it tells you wha process uses it.

I was just thinking about that. if your not streaming anything why is it running all the time?? is it just running in the background cutting into your resources for doing nothing?? and what else has NVidia got running that's wasting resources and not being used??

oh well like you found its not any Trojan or something like that I guess that's the best part of the matter and you were able to turn that off with out affecting anything else

sounds like your in good shape

Keyes

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
This happens to everyone with nvidia drivers, its not just me who has the stream service running. Disabling does no harm... its a legitmate process used for streaming gameplay to something like an nvidia shield. I have it turned off in the geforce client but the service just runs anyway.

Keyes

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Its not necessarily part of the driver but its part of the driver updating software called geforce experience which is nvidias official program. You can select do no stream, and disable the service from starting via the windows service program. Now I know the origin of the conhosts, so I dont mind leaving it on.