CTR or LCD's????

G

Hi to all and sundry....

I'm about to purchase a new computer system...and I'm at logger heads with myself in regards to the monitor choice.

I'm a photographer who uses photoshop as part of my business...so this computer will be soley used for photoshopping nothing else...ok ok...perhaps a game or two but I need a monitor that will give me optimum image quality as my files are around 250 mb per image size...so here is the question....

Is it better to go for a flat screen (which save desk space) as opposed to a CTR monitor? I know CTR's have a great screen resolution as low as .24 dpi but what about the LCD's??? Perhaps someone in the same industry would know how to answer this question...i need all the help I can get.

cheers,
Spatchy

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well, I do graphics a lot, and use photoshop when I need to touch up something, so maybe I can relate. What I have noticed (and there are others who concurr) is that w/ an LCd your eyes will be less fatigued, thus meaning u can stay in front of teh monitor longer. Some will argue that it is a lot easier to achieve matching colors w/ your printer on a CRT, and that is true. That may be a concern for u (actually, I'm sure it is). With a good LCD, u can pretty much do that too. However, LCD's do cost more. By the way, it's CRT, not CTR (Cathode Ray Tube). In addition, image quality on LCD is to some point subjective, ie u may like it better than ur CRT. It really is up to you- go to a store, and check some out (do take into account that they are hooked up through a signal splicer, thus degrading image quality quite abit, often not run at native res, and the ones on display usually aren't as good as what u can get online (I say that b/c for example I am yet to see anything newer than 2 year old LCD's in ANY of my comp shops)). Your choice really.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

G

Hey Flamethrower...thanx for your opinion and experienced with images on the LCD's and CRT...I got it right this time...but tell me this do the LCD's have a dpi rating like the CRT's? Ie .24mm dpi.

G

Ok ok...what's with the umpa lumpa homer simpson thing????

And once again thanx for all your help.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hehe, do u watch the Simpsons? There was this episode where sugar was banned in Springfield, so Homer+ Burns+ some evil sugar corp guy smuggle in by boat, but Homer won't give it till he sees the Ump Lumpa.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
Quote from tomshardware article

"As we mentioned in the preceding pages, LCD monitors still can't hold a candle to CRTs in terms of quality. Granted, their geometry is flawless, they shrug off magnetic fields and they are astonishingly compact. However, their response times and their effective color range are just too limited. Graphic artists shouldn't even consider picking up one of these gadgets, since they would only risk disappointment"

http://www4.tomshardware.com/display/02q1/020114/lcd-26.html

and according to my friend who is in graphic business that use a apple/ps most of the time, a high quality crt is a must, lcd simply do not produce accurate color that will match the output from the printer!

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an 4 monitors 2 LCD and 2 CRT. The 2 LCD I have is 17.3 inch SGI 1600SW and 22 inch Apple Cinema. The 2 CRT I have is SONY G400 and Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u both 19 inch. I have 2 dual monitor system each one attached a LCD and a CRT. Both LCD set to a resolution of 1600 x 1024 and both CRT set to a resolution of 1280 x 1024. From what I observed. CRT definitely shows better color than LCD. LCD have shows better detail than the CRT. Even picture appear smaller on my SGI LCD but some of the detail I was able to see on my LCD but not on my CRT.

G

Excellent just what I wanted to hear...thank you.

cheers,
Spatchy

G

Hehe yeah I do watch the Simpsons...bloody good show but I think I missed that episode...umpa lumpas would have been a real hoot.

G

Thanx mate I'm getting all the information I've been wanting to know.

cheers,
Spatchy