[SOLVED] Currently have an RX 580...is it worth upgrading with anything less than a RTX 2070??

abethemoose

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2012
I've been debating on replacing my RX 580 with a newer GPU, and switching to an RTX card of some sort. I don't have the money to go 2080 or higher, but, my hopes were to also add another monitor with 1440p, G-Sync, 144 Hz etc. for my gaming, and keep my current monitor for browsing and what not.

Would I see too much difference by upgrading to anything less than a 2070? Another thought I had, would be to get the new monitor first, for the higher frame rates, then go after the new video card later down the road...

Thoughts?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've been debating on replacing my RX 580 with a newer GPU, and switching to an RTX card of some sort. I don't have the money to go 2080 or higher, but, my hopes were to also add another monitor with 1440p, G-Sync, 144 Hz etc. for my gaming, and keep my current monitor for browsing and what not.

Would I see too much difference by upgrading to anything less than a 2070? Another thought I had, would be to get the new monitor first, for the higher frame rates, then go after the new video card later down the road...

Thoughts?
Generally the new monitor and new video card should be bought together, in theory. I would hold off until you're close to having the money for both monitor AND new video card, if possible.

If you were to buy one first, I would go with the monitor. You could always run the monitor at 1080p instead of 1440p, so that you don't kill the performance from your existing card. You'll take a little bit of visual quality loss, but you'd only be doing that until you got the money for the better video card.

What is your current monitor's resolution and refresh rate?