Currently using a 1080p60hz monitor. Gonna make the switch to a 1440p144hz monitor. Want to know a few things.

G

I'm running a BenQ GW2750H and a EVGA 970 and I want to upgrade to a 1440p144hz(PG278Q) monitor and a 980ti(Zotac Amp! Extreme). Soo I've heard a few things about 1440p monitors and 980ti's and I would really appreciate if someone can answer my questions.

• At any time, can I switch to 60hz and a lower resolution when gaming or web browsing? Or both?

• Do all games automatically have support for 1440p144hz monitors? Like will Dark Souls be supported on a 1440p display?

• I've heard that 1440p is a very demanding resolution and that only high end GPU's are capable of running it(980ti, Fury x, Titan). If this is the case can I not expect to run games like Dying Light, Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 4, Grand Theft Auto 5 at ultra/very high settings even with a 980ti?

• Does a game need to have support for G-sync or can I just simply enable it and I am good to go?

• When I turn on G-sync do I need to enable V-sync in-game as well?

Solution
In regards to the performance questions, you do realize you're on Tom's Hardware? There's a search bar at the top of the page that you can use to look up their performance reviews, no need to guess what kind of FPS you'll get at that resolution. Just for the record though, all of those games will perform extremely well at 1440 with just a single 980Ti. I have all of those games and have tested performance with both single and SLI 980Ti & Titan X, and they were never once even remotely close to being unplayable.

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014

you dont have to worry about changing the refresh rate.
1440P ISN'T demanding as you may think i can run GTAV ultra settings (no MSAA, or any advanced settings on) between 40-70FPS (40 in dense traffic or grasy areas)

i was also running dying light on ultra setting with a 280X 1440P no issues there either solid 60 but the other games shouldnt be a problem.

as for games supporting 1440P its only the really old games that probably wont support the old resolution like quake 3 and unreal tournament dont work on that high resolution otherwise it will upscale the game to your desired resolution.

heck i can even play witcher 3 high settings 1440P with my 280X

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
In regards to the performance questions, you do realize you're on Tom's Hardware? There's a search bar at the top of the page that you can use to look up their performance reviews, no need to guess what kind of FPS you'll get at that resolution. Just for the record though, all of those games will perform extremely well at 1440 with just a single 980Ti. I have all of those games and have tested performance with both single and SLI 980Ti & Titan X, and they were never once even remotely close to being unplayable.

Solution

Tsorg

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
• At any time, can I switch to 60hz and a lower resolution when gaming or web browsing? Or both?
You can change it in Control Panel of Windows or Nvidia Control Panel if you want but it's best to have 144Hz even while browsing becouse it makes motion more fluid.
• Do all games automatically have support for 1440p144hz monitors? Like will Dark Souls be supported on a 1440p display?
Most of the games do becouse it's just 16:9 resolution with 1.78x more pixels do draw. The refresh rate will apply to most games too but there are ofcourse exceptions like bad console ports for instance Batman: Arkham Knight running at 30 FPS (while at 144Hz refresh rate).
• I've heard that 1440p is a very demanding resolution and that only high end GPU's are capable of running it(980ti, Fury x, Titan). If this is the case can I not expect to run games like Dying Light, Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 4, Grand Theft Auto 5 at ultra/very high settings even with a 980ti?
980ti is made for people having 3440x1440 21:9 resolutions and 4k entusiasts so you will be fine, all of those games will play at over 55FPS ultra
• Does a game need to have support for G-sync or can I just simply enable it and I am good to go?
It's not games support but a monitor support. If you have g-sync monitor and nvidia card then they will "sync" with each other and that's it.
• When I turn on G-sync do I need to enable V-sync in-game as well?
G-sync is one of v-sync types so if you enable it in Nvidia Control Panel then it will override the application/game settings for V-sync. G-sync is like V-sync so you will run games at 144FPS max using 144Hz monitor but without screen tearing or game stuttering.