Question Cursor corrupted when hovered over text-boxes, games crashing to desktop or freezing PC, forcing a restart ?

Aug 5, 2023
At first, my cursor would randomly corrupt, but i can reliably recreate it if I hover over a newly created text box and wait for a few seconds. It would happen almost every time and my typing cursor would turn into a horizontal jumble of pixels. The jumble of pixels also seems to change sometimes too.
Here's a video of it in action:

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/p5iY7NMPyzc

The computer is newly built and had some RAM issues so had the shop that built it check it out. They replaced the RAM and reinstalled Windows 10 for me, but this problem still persisted through it. I'm kinda at my wit's end here.

After a while, games like overwatch would crash to desktop and rise of the tomb raider would freeze my pc, forcing a restart. I checked the event log with no luck, just says the game got unresponsive to windows. Nothing about the freeze in the system log as well. Tried Windows Memory Diagnostic, DISM, SFC, updating windows, uninstalling and reinstalling gpu drivers, nothing would help, and i can't find this issue that persisted through 2 clean os reinstalls anywhere online.

My specs are:

Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core

GPU: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB

RAM: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 16 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME

PSU: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W

Currently on Windows 10 ver 19045.3208, more device details

As i'm typing this, it happened on the reddit text box and various other text boxes as well,

https://preview.redd.it/r4gqazv81wd...bp&s=b6c9282c296c90baca4cc4e4eb106c3079a798ab

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
CTDs happen from Mods, aka modified or corrupted game files.
AData Ram ? Not a brand I would trust. Did you run Memtest64 8 passes, when you got the system back ?
Got themes or cursor addons that would be the culprit for that ?

Aug 5, 2023
I don't currently have any mods, but i did transfer the appdata folders from my old machines to this one. Can that be a problem? Also the games i had problems with can't really be modded, and since then i have found that the crashes were potentially caused by the executable of windows sound recorder (which doesnt work and crashes on launch), amdnoisesupression.exe and msicentralserver.exe
When i got the machine back i ran windows memory diagnostics and there were no issues.
And i have no themes or cursor addons whatsoever. This happened both times some time after use, or at least late enough that they did not catch it while testing at the shop.
Since this problem happened, my amd software has also encountered problems, mainly corrupted replay files and broken noise suppression software.

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Wait, did you transfer the Pointers also ? Aka Junctions ?
Yes, this could be a major problem, open loop.
Best I can tell you is re-install Windows and do not copy pointers and system directories either.
Do not override the fresh Windows system folders, none of them, in Appdata.
Then reinstall drivers and everything else.

Aug 5, 2023
Wait, did you transfer the Pointers also ? Aka Junctions ?
Yes, this could be a major problem, open loop.
Best I can tell you is re-install Windows and do not copy pointers and system directories either.
Do not override the fresh Windows system folders, none of them, in Appdata.
Then reinstall drivers and everything else.
Ah, thank you for the tip! I had my suspicions because i had tried everything and that was the only thing left that could've been an issue.
What are these Junctions and where can i find them? And do you know generally what folders in appdata i should not backup and transfer?
Also, i have a windows 10 pro key, can i reinstall from that, or do i need to mess with the bios and a usb drive?
Thank you so much again for the answer, I'll try to resolve this as quick as i can and come back with an update!

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
You need a junction repair program, look them up, if you want to fix it without re-install.
You can reinstall if you have the keys, no problem.
When you see the blue arrow shortcut sign that has the same name, for example "Documents" don't copy the one that is the shortcut, but the actual folder. Don't copy any of the shortcuts or folders that say Microsoft. You're copying old problems to a clean system. It's a pain and you have to be very selective, but it can be done.

Aug 5, 2023
Thank you so much for the info, i might have that stable system i've always wanted!
Btw, if i were to accidentally copy over some files or folders i'm not supposed to, can i just not overwrite the new files when told to and that should be ok?