Curved Display On a Laptop? Acer's Predator 21 X Has It, And Tobii Eye Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epif

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2015
That looks really ugly. I like curved screens, but I don't think they work on laptops. Maybe when we get flexible displays that can be curved and uncurved at will, but right now that looks ridiculous.

dcrussian

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
There are no benefits to have a curved display on something so small. Besides marketing reason, there's no reason for this to exist.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Its going to be like carying around a Commodore64 :D

Honestly, this is kind of a refreshing take on a mobile battlestation. It has everything that I like on my desktop, and its a single unit. I have no idea whether or not the curved screen will be useful at all, but if I were going to spend a premium amount on a laptop for gaming, this would be something I look into.

I also play FPS primarily, so the wide aspect ratio serves as an in-game peripheral vision bonus.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
curved display is the last thing to worry. This thing is not only ugly but super chunky, heavy, bulky etc. I wonder what happen with all this 14nm CPU and GPU efficiency.Is it all only some marketing BS? Do they still need so much cooling to keep them from melting? This laptop looks like if it had 7 years old CPU and GPU.

A *pair* of GTX 1080's on a 2560x1080 screen? I don't see mention of 120/144hz, but even if it is, wtf are you doing, Acer?

Also...why do powerful gaming laptops have to look like they were designed by Axe body spray? Are douchebags that big of a market segment?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

I actually don't hate how it looks (especially for a gaming laptop, where it's normal to look like it was designed to appeal to a 12 year old), but this made me laugh.

jj1979

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hang on, is that a fan vent on the top? Who's the genius that came up with that design? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that laptop goes to sleep, or even if you set it up for the lid "not to do anything" and it's closed, hot air will vent straight on the display (or am I just p***ing in the wind here?). Damage over time is something that's obviously not tested here?

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
Would've looked good in 1997 when laptops that size were closer to normal, but by today's standards, you might as well carry around a mini-ITX desktop and a 24-inch monitor in a pelican case.

BTW, looks like there's a lot of wasted space in there. They should've used the space for a small subwoofer for a true ultimate mobile experience.

jj1979

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Geezaz, just saw another article with a picture of a guy holding the actual laptop, it's a brick! Up side is, no one is going to rob you carrying the thing down the road.....he won't get far!

I find it really attractive as a Desktop replacement, meaning, it will act like a desktop PC with an UPS, but without the cables and extra room. Even better than a mini ITX to save space, and a lot easier to take it with me on weekends (I live in different cities on weekdays and weekends). The way I am now, I have to choose to have my PC on 1 place only, and not have access to it the rest of the week.

And I'm quite sure this laptop is the textbook definition of Desktop Replacement, and being marketed as such.

Axonn

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
It's unbelievable how some companies waste money... a curved screen of that size is just... mindblowing.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I like where the industry is going... you all don't remember when they said PC gaming was dead right?

Status
Not open for further replies.