Curved vs flat

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018
I'm looking to get a new monitor but undecided whether to get a curved screen or a flat screen. Are there any pros/cons with having a curved screen in competitive games? I play a lot competitive games like siege, sometimes csgo and was wondering if curved screens are bad for these sorts of game.

Solution

No cons but I saw you said 27". Thats kinda small for a curved monitor Unless you sat literally on top of it you really wouldn't see the benefit. I have a 35" one and thats big enough that it fills my view from all...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have a curved screen and love it. But for competitive gaming you need to be concerned more with refresh rate. If you want the fastest refresh rate your curved screen selections are limited and expensive.

The curve is awesome, but depending on your budget its not worth sacrificing the refresh rate to get it. You really need to look at that.

Curved is a lot better for a large high-refresh-rate TN panel because otherwise if you sit close, the corners will start to shift colors and contrast just because of the off-axis viewing angle.

With a VA, IPS or OLED panel I find the curve isn't really necessary and for productivity work straight lines may not appear straight. For gaming though, refresh rate is king even if it comes at the expense of image quality.

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

Sorry I should have stated, they both would be 144hz as this is what I currently play at. Other than the price curved monitors have no cons for competitive gaming?

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

I'd be looking at a 27" 144hz monitor, would you say the premium of curved monitors is worth it?

27" in 16:9 probably isn't large enough that you'd have to adjust the focus of your eyes when looking at the corners, but I think it would definitely be worth it if you are looking at an ultrawide 21:9 resolution in 27".

That is of course if you don't have to sacrifice other useful gaming features such as G-Sync/Freesync or low measured input lag to get curved. Unless you intend to use VESA Displayport Adaptive Sync (HDMI 2.1 VRR may take a while to arrive, considering even the new RTX 2080Ti only has HDMI 2.0b ports)

bizzbetting

Proper
Sep 23, 2018

So at 27" I should go for a flat screen as I wouldn't notice the benefits of a curved screen?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No cons but I saw you said 27". Thats kinda small for a curved monitor Unless you sat literally on top of it you really wouldn't see the benefit. I have a 35" one and thats big enough that it fills my view from all angles while gaming.

IMO go flat screen for your situation.

Solution

rafe78yap

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
if there's a budget or seek high refresh rate, choosing a flat over curved gives you alot of options, am using a curved Acer Z35P for WoW Fifa and some racing games, the corners and extra width give slighy advantages. If you're looking at 27" or smaller, curved or flat doesn't matters too much,