Question Cusom build has very odd issues after power outtage.

Oct 23, 2024
Updated - full details below in post (10/28/24) - new CMOS battery out for 30 sec an reinstalled and all external usb cables unplugged system boots from pwr btn. Can shut down and cold pwr on. left over night and now cannot power sys on.

"Main story"
I had a power outage on Thursday last week. When the power came on my pc booted and after 5 min I got the BSOD “ Drive power state failure” I tried everything from check disk to unplugging ram and mb connectors. I reformatted windows. Error was gone. Ran it off of a single stick of ram and was able to spend 5 hours resetting everything up. Shut it down for the evening and 8 hrs later it would not start. I bought a new power supply and ram. Installed the new Corsair 1200w and a new stock of ram. Computer booted but after shutting down would boot into windows and give me the same BSOD and error. Installed a new MB X670E Arous Pro X with the new ram and power supply. Booted right up and I used it for roughly 6 hrs and updated all the new drivers. Played a lil Star Citizen and headed to bed. Woke up today and it won’t turn on. I have a LianLi Evo case and checked the power buttons and everything looks good.

"Update today 10/23/24
I got home this evening and my pc wouldn't turn on again. I disconnected the MB cable and tested it with a power supply tester and as soon as I plugged the tester into the cable on the power supply everything lit up. I disconnected the tester and plugged the cable back in to my MB and nothing happened when I hit the power button. I repeated this a few times and low and behold it booted with out me touching the power button on the case. [language redacted]. what am I missing. I have also tried to use a screw driver to boot and it has never worked.

So far: New MB, New RAM, New PSU, new cables. CPU and GPU run perferctly under ciniebench without skipping a beat. I ran CPU-Z under stress and no issues. Also installed a new battery on the MB. I have tried 3 different outlets in my room also and checked them and they are good.

Current Specks:

AMD 7950X3d
Gigabyte 4090
2x32 64gb Gskill 6000 (a2 & b2) (new)
Tuf Gaming X67OE Plus-WIFI (new)
LIAN LI Galahad II LCD SL-INF 360 White
1200w Corsair shift series (new)

I need help. Been at this now for a almost a week. System was only 3 1/2 months old when this happened and I did have it plugged into a APC battery backup, but pc was on the surge plug not the battery + surge at the time of the outage.

I have gone through several times and verified connections.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might be having a grounding issue. Every time you're putting your hand in the system, you're grounding the system and draining it off of static charge, is my assumption. Perhaps ask a certified electrician to come over and scope your main lines...?

Tuf Gaming X67OE Plus-WIFI
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Reactions: helper800
You've definitely ruled out most of the things I would tend to think of for a problem like this. It sounds like motherboard issues, but the fact that you've replaced it makes that less likely. I agree that it could be an outlet/grounding issue, and I wouldn't stop at trying 3 outlets in your room, if that whole circuit is having issues, you'd want to test it on a separate circuit in your house.

The two other things I can think of would be to make sure you have all the necessary standoffs installed for the motherboard; and maybe try a different motherboard/CPU if you can manage it. I had the same BSOD error happening with my system, and I just bought a cheap mobo/CPU combo off of reddit hardwareswap that shared the same chipset. That way I could conclusively isolate the issue by trying a few different configurations. In my case, the CPU fried my old motherboard because the system (a prebuilt) wasn't spec'd correctly, and the power draw of my i9 was too much for the VRM on my motherboard.

In your case, your motherboard should be fine to handle that CPU, but if something happened to your CPU during the power outage, it's remotely possible that your CPU is now breaking every motherboard it touches. I wouldn't say likely, but it's possible. So I think the best way to troubleshoot the system would be to get a working mobo/cpu of the same chipset, then try (in order to avoid the new mobo dying): new cpu/mobo (if that works, you've ruled out the rest of your system being the problem); old mobo/new cpu (if this works, it's your CPU); then new mobo/old CPU (if this works, it's your motherboard, but I think this is unlikely since you replaced your motherboard).

Reactions: helper800
Glad you got it figured out! Those weird intermittent power issues can be a bear to troubleshoot. My first build wouldn't power on with the button after losing power, unless you held the power button on the front while switching the PSU switch on and off a few times. To this day I don't know why that happened, and I just worked around it until I got rid of it.

Oct 23, 2024
So after a day of everything working fine, I am back to the same issue. Power off.... press power and nothing. I took off my AIO and 79503dx, cleaned up the thermal paste, re pasted and re installed and the system booted right up. Ran it all day without any issues. I ran cinie bench and some gamnes and no crashes. I shut it down for the night and went to start it this am and nothing. I took a ram stick out so just 1x 32 6000 of gskill installed on A2 and the system booted up right away. The ram is brand new. I literally am out of options on what the heck is going on. I am almost to the point of scrapping and going with an intel build.

Everything in the system aside from the processor and 4090 is brand new, including all the cables. Expo enabled in bios. I have replaced the Cmos battery, flashed bios and I still cannot escape this issue.

I will greatly appreciate any help

Oct 23, 2024
A few weeks back I had a power surge. My 4 mo old custom PC was plugged into a new APC backup. I had issues after the outtage with the system powering on. This is what I have done over the past 2 weeks:

New 1200W Corsair shift
New MB Asus Tuf Gaming XX670e WiFi plus
New DDR5 6000 2x 32gb Gskill Ram (64 total) (expo 1 enabled)
AMD 79503Dx
Gigabyte 4090
Lianli Gallahad 2 AIO
Lianli Case fans
New cables from power supply to MB and components
New CMOS battery
Installed a new 79000x ( same issue)

It has been a nightmare to say the least.... When I press the power button nothing happens. If I use a psu tester the tester lights up. If I turn off the psu and plug the MB back in nothing, If I use the psu tester and leave the psu on and plug in the mb the system starts up. Last night I installed a new 7900x and power button did nothing, I removed the CMOS battery left it out for 5 minutes and held down the case power button for 30 sec. I put the CMOS battery back in, plugged in the psu and it booted. I ran cinebench and gamed without any issues. If I restart in windows it works as normal. I then powered down the pc and it would not reboot via power button.
So I unplugged all usbs cables , removed the CMOS battery once agian and the pc started right up. PC ran normally. I unplugged all usb devices and shut it down, waited 5 min and it booted using the PC case button. I repeated this several times and no issues aslong as all the usb cables are unpllugged aside for the mouse dongle and keyboard. I shut it down for the night and woke up this am and it would not boot vvia the power button. I have replaced the CMOS battery and all cables are verified. When I was shutting it down last night I would plug in the usb's once I got to the windows login screen and then when I whent to shut it down I unplugged all the usb cables. This is so frustrating since the system is onlly 4 months old.

Any and all help appreciated.

Oct 23, 2024
Glad you got it figured out! Those weird intermittent power issues can be a bear to troubleshoot. My first build wouldn't power on with the button after losing power, unless you held the power button on the front while switching the PSU switch on and off a few times. To this day I don't know why that happened, and I just worked around it until I got rid of it.
I thought I had, update below

A few weeks back I had a power surge. My 4 mo old custom PC was plugged into a new APC backup. I had issues after the outtage with the system powering on. This is what I have done over the past 2 weeks:

New 1200W Corsair shift
New MB Asus Tuf Gaming XX670e WiFi plus
New DDR5 6000 2x 32gb Gskill Ram (64 total) (expo 1 enabled)
AMD 79503Dx
Gigabyte 4090
Lianli Gallahad 2 AIO
Lianli Case fans
New cables from power supply to MB and components
New CMOS battery
Installed a new 79000x ( same issue)

It has been a nightmare to say the least.... When I press the power button nothing happens. If I use a psu tester the tester lights up. If I turn off the psu and plug the MB back in nothing, If I use the psu tester and leave the psu on and plug in the mb the system starts up. Last night I installed a new 7900x and power button did nothing, I removed the CMOS battery left it out for 5 minutes and held down the case power button for 30 sec. I put the CMOS battery back in, plugged in the psu and it booted. I ran cinebench and gamed without any issues. If I restart in windows it works as normal. I then powered down the pc and it would not reboot via power button.
So I unplugged all usbs cables , removed the CMOS battery once agian and the pc started right up. PC ran normally. I unplugged all usb devices and shut it down, waited 5 min and it booted using the PC case button. I repeated this several times and no issues aslong as all the usb cables are unpllugged aside for the mouse dongle and keyboard. I shut it down for the night and woke up this am and it would not boot vvia the power button. I have replaced the CMOS battery and all cables are verified. When I was shutting it down last night I would plug in the usb's once I got to the windows login screen and then when I whent to shut it down I unplugged all the usb cables. This is so frustrating since the system is onlly 4 months old.

Any and all help appreciated.
Check the USB ports on the back of the motherboard and on the front of the case. Shine a flashlight into them to see if there is any damage, or obstruction. Inside of the case check the ends of the cables coming from the front of the case that plug into the USB headers on the motherboard. Check that the male and female headers have no damage or obstructions. If all of the external USB ports and connectors from your peripherals, and the internal I/O cables from the case and the USB headers on the motherboard are fine I would assume one of the USB devices you are plugging into the computer is causing a short or otherwise messing with the motherboard/PSU. Use a process of elimination by plugging in the USB peripherals one at a time to see if they cause the issue. That should find the source of the issue if they are indeed causing issues. I would also try to power on the PC by either shorting the power pins or buy a power button that plugs into the front I/O connector to rule out the case's power button as an issue. Good luck!