Custom Build Compatibility Check + Overall opinions (please)

PEZ Addict

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Hey guys,

This is my first post on the forums; I hope I chose the correct section to post this in (if I didn't, I apologize). During my time lurking, I've witnessed quite a few people receive quality advice for their builds including assistance on how to get the most for their money. I'm hoping I can receive similar assistance as I approach my first custom build.

The first thing I'm concerned with is compatibility. I did use PCPartPicker to assemble my list and hopefully you guys can confirm if their compatibility filter did the job.

The second thing is whether or not I'll be getting the best bang for my buck, so to speak. I was on the fence about a few different builds (Intel vs. AMD), but the Microcenter up the street has their 4770ks on sale for $200 which makes my decision pretty easy.

This build will be primarily for gaming and some light multitasking (possibly streaming in the future).

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Microcenter)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Microcenter)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.99 @ Microcenter)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.99 @ Microcenter)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Microcenter)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Microcenter)

Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($109.99 @ Microcenter)

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Microcenter)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Microcenter)

Total: $1421.90 - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/24J26

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

My budget is as close to $1400 as I can come - I'm hoping I did pretty good since I came pretty close.

A few things I'd like to note:

1. I plan to run things @ stock speeds for a little bit, but I do plan to overclock eventually.

2. The PSU might seem like overkill right now, but I plan to add another 770 when necessary. I -think- that + future overclocking will warrant the PSU I chose, but someone will need to confirm.

3. I'm unsure if the EVO will adequately cool the stock 4770k; I've heard yes and no and that it can depend on the particular chip. I plan to upgrade to a higher end cooling solution when I overclock.

4. I tried to stick with parts I could buy at Microcenter to avoid any down time in the event that something is defective; I can just drive back up and exchange it. I also find Microcenter's warranty plans to be particularly awesome. That said, if I can do [significantly] better buying from elsewhere, I'll consider it.

That's about it. I appreciate anyone taking the time to look over my build and offer their opinion. Thanks in advance!

Solution
I currently have a 770 in my system, and with the release of BF4 have been forced to SLI with a second 770. It is disgustingly powerful. But for a new build, it is generally suggested, as you said, get the most powerful card you can afford for now, with the option of SLI/CF in the future.
Really nice build, seriously. Great choices.

1. You mentioned wanting a PSU for SLI in the future. I'd recommend more in the 850W range for dual 770s.
2. The evo is an entry level cooler for overclocking. You can expect decent temperatures on moderate overclocks but if you plan to go aggressive you need to look at something like noctua's coolers or maybe closed loop liquid cooling. I went with the H100i and love it.

Again, really nice setup. You'll love it I am sure.

PEZ Addict

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Thank you for the feedback, Jim. I think you're right about the PSU. I think the idea of adding another 770 stems from my inexperience with high-ish end gpus (I'm upgrading from a single gts 450); I'm not sure how long a single 770 will stay relevant. Maybe it would make more sense to upgrade to a more powerful single card setup when the time comes instead of adding more of the same?

Thanks again!

I currently have a 770 in my system, and with the release of BF4 have been forced to SLI with a second 770. It is disgustingly powerful. But for a new build, it is generally suggested, as you said, get the most powerful card you can afford for now, with the option of SLI/CF in the future.

Solution