Custom build for WoW

Mordrea

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Hello, my computer died on me so I'm looking to build my own. I want to be able to play WoW on ultra settings. I've been doing my homework and have come up with this build. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mordrea/saved/LkVCmG What I need to know a) is this good enough and b) how can I shave off about $400 without sacrificing too much? This will be my first build and I am not very tech savvy so please be gentle. Thanks in advance!

Solution
To answer your questions:
1. I think OCable is not a part, but means Overclockable.
Overclocking means that you can raise the performance of a overclockable cpu by about 20% if you have a decent cpu cooler to take care of the extra heat.

2. Yes, there are free data migration utilities that will move a complete OS to a SSD assuming that the SSD is large enough to hold the os and all games/apps.
My take is to enjoy the use of an initial SSD. It makes everything else you do so much quicker. 240gb will hold a fair number of games. perhaps a dozen. It is easy to add a hard drive for storage of large files such as video's later.
3. On thee case, buy what you love. It will be with you for a very long time.
The case you picked is a...
here ssd wont fit into shaving off 400 tho

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.90 @ Directron)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $981.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-25 18:55 EST-0500

Shaved off around $400 without sacrificing too much.

Non OCable CPU.
Non OCable motherboard (note, also can't SLI in the future)
Faster ram
X'd the SSD, they don't help with FPS anyways, just load times. Nice to have, but not mandatory under a budget.
Downgraded to the Pro version of the same case
Cheaper but higher quality PSU. (made by seasonic)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($83.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($67.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($104.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1033.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-25 18:59 EST-0500

WOW is one of those single threaded games that depends on a single fast core but does not really need many cores.
Here is a review or the G3258, arguably the fastest single core cpu out there when overclocked. And... only $70.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-10.html
If you are uncomfortable overclocking, then a high clock i3-4370@3.8 is as good as you can do at $160.
If you go G3258, the cm cooler is appropriate.
If you use the i3-4370, the stock cooler will be fine.

Use a smaller/cheaper M-ATX sized motherboard, and a smaller cheaper case.
Look at the Silverstone PS-07 about $70.

On ram, buy a 2 stick kit of 2 x 4gb to get dual channel operation.

GTX970 only needs 500w. Your psu is fine, but look for XFX,Seasonic, antec in the 550-650w range. No value in paying extra formodular or gold rating.

Mordrea

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Thank you all for the input. Jim, I have no idea what an OCable is. I really am quite new to all of this. I think you're right on the SSD, but I would be able to add it later and transfer the OS and WoW to it at a later time, yes? As far as the case goes, I'm a girl and I like the pretty lights. ;) And I was told to go with a modular PSU (because of my lack of experience) and it would be easier for me to install without the extra cables and whatnot. Also, I am now questioning my selection of motherboard. I still want a Z97 but I need something that is completely noob friendly as I don't know much of anything about BIOS. Any suggestions?

To answer your questions:
1. I think OCable is not a part, but means Overclockable.
Overclocking means that you can raise the performance of a overclockable cpu by about 20% if you have a decent cpu cooler to take care of the extra heat.

2. Yes, there are free data migration utilities that will move a complete OS to a SSD assuming that the SSD is large enough to hold the os and all games/apps.
My take is to enjoy the use of an initial SSD. It makes everything else you do so much quicker. 240gb will hold a fair number of games. perhaps a dozen. It is easy to add a hard drive for storage of large files such as video's later.
3. On thee case, buy what you love. It will be with you for a very long time.
The case you picked is a good one with plenty of ventilation.
A inexpensive case is one way to reduce cost, but unless you have a very hard budget limit, I would splurge and buy a case you love anyway.

4. A modular PSU allows you to remove any unused power leads. On a properly sized psu, you are going to use most of the leads anyway. On a standard sized case, like you picked, it is easy to just lay the extra cables on the bottom of the case, out of the way. It is actually easier since you don't have to figure out how to plug the proper cables into the psu.
Here is a list of psu quality tiers. I think the evga unit is tier 3.
I might pick this tier 2 Seasonic 620w unit for less:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii620bronze

5. On the motherboard, I agree on a Z97 motherboard. It gives you future options and allows you to overclock if you wish.
There are no bad Z97 motherboards, the brands are all good.
The Bios on Z97 motherboards are UEFI which gives you a web like format.
All bios defaults are fine, you need to change nothing.
Possibly only to select your boot drive priority.
I might suggest this ASUS Z97M plus M-atx motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132130
6. I suggest a simple aftermarket cpu cooler. The intel stock cooler will do the job, but it is tricky to get the pushpin mount on properly. Under load, the stock cooler is noisy and does not cool well.
The hyper212 you picked is a reasonable choice.
7. GTX970 is a great card, this unit is a bit cheaper.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp41970kr

I don't think wow is particularly graphics intensive.
You might pick one of the newly announced GTX960 cards like this for $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487092&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Solution