Question Custom build not performing as it should, I want to do some troubleshooting but no idea where to start? T

Apr 25, 2020
Hi,

First of all I'll start by saying, I posted this on Reddit, but because of Reddit's algorithm my post was buried after a few replies.

I built my own Windows 10 PC last year for gaming, and performance has been hit and miss with almost every game I have played.
I seem to meet the minimum requirements for everything I play, and I'm even able to "optimise" them using GE Force Experience, but the performance just doesn't seem quite right.
Sometimes I get lag spikes when I clearly meet the system requirements, however my main issue is a certain type of lag I frequently experience. The games will run smooth at 60FPS, however every so often the game completely freezes for about 10 milliseconds. It ranges from barely noticeable to consistent, depending on what I'm playing. During this, my FPS counter usually just goes from 60 to 57 or 56, however it's far more noticeable than a loss of 3 or 4FPS. I don't even know what this type of lag is called as it seems different to microstuttering. When I check the Windows 10 Task Manager it shows a drop in utilisation for my GPU and CPU but only a slight drop.

Another major problem is texture pop-in, this again can vary a lot based on the game or hard drive. Textures and objects sometimes pop-in, other times they are low resolution and gradually load a higher res texture. I'd put this down to a crappy HDD but it still happens to a certain extent with my SSDs.
My specs are here. I'm aware that two of my hard drives, including my C/ drive are older components, however I can't see an older SSD being completely detrimental to performance, furthermore the problem still exists on my 240GB SSD which is less than 2 years old. Again, I could be wrong, and I try and avoid using my HDD for more demanding games.

Not sure if there are any obvious bottlenecks there that could be causing these problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start with troubleshooting or monitoring performance?

Thanks

Apr 28, 2020
sound like a overheat protection messing with your fps. So Start by monitoring the temp of both GPU and CPU to see what's going on. after this you can try to reduce voltage or downclocking the heating compenant if it's not enough.

Do you have stock heatsink?

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, It's on stock heat sink, I just monitored my CPU and GPU temperature while gaming and the CPU doesn't go above 51 Celsius and the GPU no higher than 65 Celsius.

By the way, some of the things I've tried so far:

Changing Windows 10 and Nvidia power consumption to maximum performance.

Scanning for corrupted system files.

Running Windows hardware diagnostics on RAM and my hard drives.

Disable dynamic tick (made performance much worse).

Different monitors and TVs

Checking device manager for any missing drivers

Moving the page-file to a separate SSD.

Checking my stats on User Benchmark - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27193382

So far, nothing seems to have worked. When I've moved games to my separate SSD there is a slight performance boost as opposed to the C/ drive or HDD drive however the texture and object pop-in is still a problem, as is stuttering.