[SOLVED] Custom build shutting down

Apr 26, 2020
Hello,

I am new to the custom build world and trying to determine why my PC shuts down and restarts when graphics are high.

My build:
Case: Phanteks P400a
MB: Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi
CPU: i7-9700K
GPU: Aorus RTX 2070 Super
RAM: Silicon Power 16GB (8GBx2) XPOWER Turbine Gaming DDR4 3200MHz
Cooler: Enermax Liqmax III
PSU: Lepa B800M
Fans: Enermax T.B. RGB

The issue:

When I try to play Fortnite at 240 FPS setting, I am typically unable to make it out of the lobby before the PC shuts down. At lower FPS I make it into the game and can play for a period of time, but can't complete a game as the PC shuts down.

When running a Furmax test, as soon as the test starts I can see the image (1-2 seconds) then it shuts down.

The BIOS are up to date (version F11).

Any help, guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Solution
Do you have suggestions for a better quality PSU that I should purchase to replace this one?

What's your BUDGET for the power supply ? These are some high quality units. Look for similar SKUs.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.
This PSU really looks cheap and abit to much so agree could be the PSU here! Here one review about the PSU it burned his PSU and cable and another review it his caught on fire /:

914TMDnwpUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71V7sNOcB0L._CR0,161,957,957_UX175.jpg

Apr 26, 2020
This PSU really looks cheap and abit to much so agree could be the PSU here! Here one review about the PSU it burned his PSU and cable and another review it his caught on fire /:

914TMDnwpUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71V7sNOcB0L._CR0,161,957,957_UX175.jpg

Yikes! That's obviously not good. I appreciate the feedback. Can you explain what you mean by "a bit too much"? Do you mean there is too much power there and I should get a smaller PSU? Is it bad to have a PSU with 800 Watts?

Do you mean there is too much power there and I should get a smaller PSU? Is it bad to have a PSU with 800 Watts?

Wattage number alone is not always important. The quality and the make of the PSU matters.

The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors.

The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc.

And no, the extra power won't go wasted, it just won't get fully utilized.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020
Wattage number alone is not always important. The quality and the make of the PSU matters.

The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors.

The total wattage number of any PSU is not always really the most important deciding factor, primary concern is the 'quality' of power it produces, and the total capacity of the 12V source etc.

And no, the extra power won't go wasted, it just won't get fully utilized.

Do you have suggestions for a better quality PSU that I should purchase to replace this one?

What's your BUDGET for the power supply ? These are some high quality units. Look for similar SKUs.

Solution
Apr 26, 2020
I would say go with highest priced ones and not to cheap and you can post on these forums and ask for feedback but going for cheaper ones is risky because they be mainly for cheaper computers that could handle them but looks like someone posted above me with PSU ideas!

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Apr 26, 2020

My budget was somewhere close to $100 which is why I bought the LEPA originally. Many of the websites said PSU was an area you could save a few dollars in your build - guess that was not great advice.

I really appreciate you taking the time to make such a comprehensive list for me to browse through. Unfortunately, a lot of the ones you suggested are much higher than my budget or out of stock currently. I did find the following:

SeaSonic Electronics FOCUS PX Series 750W 80 Plus Platinum Modular ATX Power Supply

If I understand the information I read about this, it is the updated version of the Focus Plus Platinum. I found it at B&H for $135. Is this a good PSU and a decent price for it? Will this be enough power for my build if I decide to overclock in the future?