Question Custom built computer won't boot

Mar 2, 2020
So I built a second PC about a week ago, after putting it together, it would start and shut off continuously. I tested a few fixes such as pulling the ram, or the graphics card to no avail. I then replaced the mothers with a x570 since I'm running a ryzen 5 3600. I installed it, and there's a red light showing. So I replaced the cpu with mine which I know works and is also a ryzen 5 3600. Same issue. So I replaced the power supply and still the same issue. Everything is connected properly. I've done this many times and never had an issue. What do I do?
Mobo ASRock steel series x570
Cpu ryzen 5 3600
Ram Corsair LPX 16gb ddr4
GPU gigabyte 2060 super
PSU Corsair cx 550m
HDD sabrent rocket nvme

You plugged the ESP power connector for the CPU, the 2060 super pcie power connector?

Check for bent pins on the CPU.

You seated the GPU in the first PCIe slot right? The closest to the CPU.

Did you test the system outside of the case by breadboarding it?

Mar 2, 2020
You plugged the ESP power connector for the CPU, the 2060 super pcie power connector?

Check for bent pins on the CPU.

You seated the GPU in the first PCIe slot right? The closest to the CPU.

Did you test the system outside of the case by breadboarding it?
Everything is plugged in correctly, yes. The GPU is on the top pcie slot. The cpu is good, I checked that as well. I didn't do that with the motherboard. I just figured it would work

Everything is plugged in correctly, yes. The GPU is on the top pcie slot. The cpu is good, I checked that as well. I didn't do that with the motherboard. I just figured it would work

I saw some people use the GPU cable for the CPU power connector and the opposite which would be esp cpu cable for the GPU. Not the case?

In what slots are your RAM seated? A2 an B2 and you tested only 1 stick in A2 right?

Testing without your GPU won't work since your CPU does not have integrated graphics. So the motherboard graphics port won't be working on your system.

There is only the CPU red light? The others are not lit?

Mar 2, 2020
I saw some people use the GPU cable for the CPU power connector and the opposite which would be esp cpu cable for the GPU. Not the case?

In what slots are your RAM seated? A2 an B2 and you tested only 1 stick in A2 right?

Testing without your GPU won't work since your CPU does not have integrated graphics. So the motherboard graphics port won't be working on your system.

There is only the CPU red light? The others are not lit?
So the PSU is actually semi modular so there's no problem there. I've used both of them just in A2 and still nothing. There are two lights lit. The third and fourth light.

So the dram and cpu light

Put only 1 stick of RAM in A2. Clear the CMOS. Try to boot.

1. Turn off the PC.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the AC power source.
  3. Remove the computer cover.
  4. Find the battery on the board. The battery may be in a horizontal or vertical battery holder, or connected to an onboard header with a wire.
  5. Remove the battery:
    1. If the battery is in a holder, note the orientation of the + and on the battery. Gently pry the battery free from its connector.
    2. If the battery is connected to an onboard header with a wire, disconnect the wire from the onboard header.
  6. Wait 1–5 minutes, then reconnect the battery.
  7. Put the computer cover back on.
  8. Plug the computer and all devices back in.

Mar 2, 2020
Put only 1 stick of RAM in A2. Clear the CMOS. Try to boot.

1. Turn off the PC.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the AC power source.
  3. Remove the computer cover.
  4. Find the battery on the board. The battery may be in a horizontal or vertical battery holder, or connected to an onboard header with a wire.
  5. Remove the battery:
    1. If the battery is in a holder, note the orientation of the + and on the battery. Gently pry the battery free from its connector.
    2. If the battery is connected to an onboard header with a wire, disconnect the wire from the onboard header.
  6. Wait 1–5 minutes, then reconnect the battery.
  7. Put the computer cover back on.
  8. Plug the computer and all devices back in.
I will try this when I get home. Thank you for all the help so far

zx128k

Reputable
Post Status Checker (PSC) diagnoses the computer when users power on the machine. It emits a red light to indicate whether the CPU, memory, VGA or storage is dysfunctional. The lights go off if the four mentioned above are functioning normally. Which one is affected?

It's item number 26 in your motherboard manual, near the PCIE5 and the Thunderbolt AIC Header (TB1). https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X570 Steel Legend.pdf page 8 Note the motherboard power connectors at the top left and upper middle right.

It's suggested that you install the memory modules on DDR4_ A2 and DDR4_B2 first for better DRAM compatibility on 2 DIMMs configuration. page 25 DIMM slots upper right page 8 thats the second and fourth slot.

If you have boot issues then make sure only the minimum of devices are connected to the motherboard. Remove all HD's,SSD's, blue ray and M.2 drives. Disconnect all cables from your case, including usb, power and reset. If your case has a speaker, then connect it and listen for the beeps. Just looking to get to the bios screen, then add devices back afterwards.

What is the model number for your ram and is it on your motherboards QVL list. The PC should reboot a few times the first time to train the RAM timings. Check the monitor cables as well, sometimes you get a black screen because the cable needs to be in that special position or can't be pushed all the way home because the graphic card is not seated 100% right.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020
Post Status Checker (PSC) diagnoses the computer when users power on the machine. It emits a red light to indicate whether the CPU, memory, VGA or storage is dysfunctional. The lights go off if the four mentioned above are functioning normally. Which one is affected?

It's item number 26 in your motherboard manual, near the PCIE5 and the Thunderbolt AIC Header (TB1). https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X570 Steel Legend.pdf page 8

If you have boot issues then make sure only the minimum of devices are connected to the motherboard. Remove all HD's,SSD's, blue ray and M.2 drives. Disconnect all cables from your case, including usb, power and reset. If your case has a speaker, then connect it and listen for the beeps. Just looking to get to the bios screen, then add devices back afterwards.

What is the model number for your ram and is it on your motherboards QVL list. The PC should reboot a few times the first time to train the RAM timings. Check the monitor cables as well, sometimes you get a black screen because the cable needs to be in that special position or can't be pushed all the way home because the graphic card is not seated 100% right.
Yeah I ordered new ram to make sure it was indeed compatible. Because the cpu has no built in graphics, I have to have the GPU connected to get a visual. The dram and cpu lights are red. The computer boots and resets but after removing the 12v, it'll boot and stay on but still not post if that gives any insight.

zx128k

Reputable
Yeah I ordered new ram to make sure it was indeed compatible. Because the cpu has no built in graphics, I have to have the GPU connected to get a visual. The dram and cpu lights are red. The computer boots and resets but after removing the 12v, it'll boot and stay on but still not post if that gives any insight.

Tried another PSU? Are the CPU power connectors both plugged in.

Useful information https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

zx128k

Reputable
I did replace the PSU with the same one but haven't tested a different one. My other PC has a seasonic PSU but I basically have to tear it apart to get it out because it's so tight. I'll have to try that .

The issue can be caused by not having the right power connectors connected to the motherboard. EPS power connectors are often forgotten. Just make sure they connect back to the right socket on the PSU.

Example, https://superuser.com/questions/1468309/asrock-x570-stuck-on-post-cpudram-red-leds-on

bkFmM.jpg

Also if the RAM needs to be fully pushed into the slots, even if the clip was latched. Just make sure they are all the way home.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
Which connectors would this be? The post doesn't go into a ton of detail

The power connectors at the upper left on page 8 of your motherboard manual. They are numbered 1 and 2. You also have number 8 at the upper right middle.

1 8 pin 12V Power Connector (ATX12V1)
2 4 pin 12V Power Connector (ATX12V2)
8 ATX Power Connector (ATXPWR1)

Mar 2, 2020
They power connectors at the upper left on page 8 of your motherboard manual. They are numbered 1 and 2.

1 8 pin 12V Power Connector (ATX12V1)
2 4 pin 12V Power Connector (ATX12V2)
8 ATX Power Connector (ATXPWR1)
So both the 8 and 4 pin need to be powered? I did read that it only needed the 8 pin. This PSU on supplies a single 8 pin for the cpu power. I really appreciate all the help btw

Mar 2, 2020
The 8-pin should be fine on its own but both should be installed. My motherboard worked with just the 8-pin but after I got a new PSU I installed both.
Okay I may have to look into a new PSU then because even the one I have in my other computer is only the 8 pin so I don't think it'll make much of a difference

zx128k

Reputable
Okay I may have to look into a new PSU then because even the one I have in my other computer is only the 8 pin so I don't think it'll make much of a difference

You should be okay with just the 8-pin ESP cable. Just make sure you don't use the EPS (CPU) cable to power your GPU or the other way round.

Example of not what to do.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8oEN0nCP5g

Last edited: