Custom Built PC boot problems

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
Hi guys,

Just finished building my PC. Tried to boot it but so far I can't get it to boot properly.
Strangest thing is that I plugged in a PC system speaker, but it doesn't bleep at all.

When I press the power button the case fans and the cpu fan start spinning, the motherboard's RGB lighting does work etc. But whenever I try to connect a screen, it doesn't get a signal. I tried changing the ram slot and I am now even trying it without any ram installed. The manual of the motherboard tells me that I should hear a continuous bleep from the system speaker if no memory is installed, but I hear nothing (I know the speaker works because it works on a firend's PC).

Also something else I noticed, not sure if this is a problem, but I cannot seem to turn off the PC after it has been turned on. Pressing and holding the power button doesn't do anything, I have to flip the switch on the power supply to turn it off.

Anyone has any idea what might be going on here?

Here is the list of components I am using:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($318.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.35 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.90 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung - SM951 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card ($669.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.90 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1627.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-27 16:27 EDT-0400

You may have not connected the power wires from the case front panel correctly.
Look at the motherboard manual and make sure the positive and negative wires match the positive and negative pins in the motherboard.
The same goes for the 4-pin speaker, Power-LED, Reset button and HDD-LED.

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015

Thanks for your reply. I *think* I have got everything setup correctly. The led light on the power button is working.
I can turn on the PC, but I cannot seem to turn it off other than turning off the power supply button on the back.

I am trying to take pictures of the front panel connectors, but my phone has a really hard time focusing on such tiny things.

One question though: I have a Ryzen 7 2700x cpu, it doesn't appear to have an on board gpu. Does this mean that I can't connect a screen to the hdmi or DP connector on the motherboard?

Do you have the power button issue only on Windows? Can you power off with the power button if you are in the BIOS?
No, the Ryzen 7 2700x does not have integrated graphics. You should connect your monitor to the Nvidia GPU.
Those ports are there in case you install a Ryzen CPU with graphics like the 2200G or 2400G.

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015

No operating system has been installed yet. I have no video output either, so it is really hard to tell what is going on. For the moment I have taken the video card out, because it was in the way. I installed a really old smaller gpu with a vga input for testing purposes. But it doesn't work either. What bothers me most is that my PC speaker doesn't seem to work. Just tested it on another PC and it did give sound on that PC.

btw, is it normal that I can't turn off the PC after turning it on? I was expecting it to turn off after pressing the font panel power button. But even holding it for 10 seconds doesn't seem to do anything. By turning off I mean that the fans stop spinning. Because I don't know what else is happening.

Could there be a problem with the CPU? The fan is spinning, but not sure if that is an indication of whether or not the CPU actually works.

Assuming you installed the motherboard (using standoffs), CPU and CPU cooler correctly.
Unplug the power cord. Press the power button for 15 seconds, remove the CMOS battery and wait 5 minutes.
Place the CMOS battery back and remove every component and try with just the CPU, GPU and one stick of RAM.
Plug the power cord and power on.

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015

Ok there are some developments. I totally forgot to plug in the 8pins connector to the motherboard. I did connect the 24 pins, but simply forgot about the other one. Now that it is connected, turning off the PC does seem to work now: When I am holding the power button it turns off after 4 seconds (fans stop spinning). So that is at least something. Still no bleeping though, even though I have no RAM installed.

The motherboard is installed using standoffs.

Did what you said, just rebooted the PC. Without ram and GPU though. I am just wondering why the speaker won't bleep :(. It seems pointless to insert the gpu and ram if the system speaker doesn't even tell me anything. Should I still try?

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015

Ok somehow it does work now. Very strange. I did install some ram and the gpu. I get a bleep plus video. So probably the 8 pins connector was the issue.

Still, I don't get why I didn't get any bleeps when I did not have ram or gpu installed (but after I connected the 8 pins connector). Manual clearly says that I should get a long bleep when there is no memory. Any idea why it did not bleep?

To get beeps you need to provide power to the motherboard and in some cases the CPU.
The 24-pin and 8-pin provide power to the motherboard and its components, without them some motherboard components will not work.
You cannot overlook anything when building a PC.
If you knew how many of my friends and colleagues call me with similar issues and they somehow forget to either connect power to the motherboard or GPU or both...most times I don't ask about those steps right away because they are so obvious to me.
I should have asked that first. :)
I am glad you system is working now.

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015

Yeah, but after I connected the 8 pins connector I still did not have any RAM installed. GPU wasn't connected either. Still no bleeps. Then I installed the RAM and the GPU and everything seemed to work. So that still was very strange.

I agree. The 8 pins connector is easy to overlook, especially for newbies. I simply skipped it after I connected the 24 pins connector, thinking that I was done already.

Anyhow, I am glad everything works now, thanks for your time!