[SOLVED] custom cooling or aio

reed hingst

Prominent
May 30, 2019
im looking to cutom cool my ryzen 7 3800x and i dont know if i should build loop or just go with an aio. i do not really know the diffrence any ideas?

any suggestions on size or brand?
I like corsair products so I'm a bit biased towards them. I would opt for the largest that will fit inside your case, just look at the size of say this:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series™-PRO-RGB-Liquid-CPU-Coolers/p/CW-9060031-WW
Other than that, there's many other companies that provide them. This is what I use and I haven't had any issues.
EDIT
I prefer AIO to air cooled just because it looks nicer and is generally quieter IMO

reed hingst

Prominent
May 30, 2019
I like corsair products so I'm a bit biased towards them. I would opt for the largest that will fit inside your case, just look at the size of say this:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series™-PRO-RGB-Liquid-CPU-Coolers/p/CW-9060031-WW
Other than that, there's many other companies that provide them. This is what I use and I haven't had any issues.
EDIT
I prefer AIO to air cooled just because it looks nicer and is generally quieter IMO
yup totally agree thanks for the help

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Custom liquid
+Greater cooling potential Vs hybrid.
+Lowest possible noise production, besides fanless, at least.
+More powerful, and higher quality pump Vs hybrid.
-Expensive.
-High maintenance. [This one is what ultimately turns away most of the people who take an interest in custom liquid.]
-Requires much planning in advance. You really can't jump in this blind, or expect to just ask a few questions and be ready to go.

Hybrid cooling
+More affordable than custom.
+Low maintenance. Pretty much set it and forget it, until the pump dies, after which you toss it out, but keep the working fans, and buy another cooler.
+Not much planning required. Know what sizes the chassis supports and the kind of heat loads being dealt with.
-Cooling potential isn't as good as custom.
-Louder than custom, even the models marketed for low noise.
-Pump is weaker, and not as well built Vs custom.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I find it hard to justify a custom watercooling loop. CPUs are almost on the ragged edge as it is. Just about only LN2 will make much sense for overclocking considerably past stock clocks. What will a custom loop do? 100 Mhz more core clock? That's what? 2% performance increase?
And it only costs you 300-600 dollars? Er. I'd rather go with an AIO for 100-150 dollars and spend the rest on better parts.
But custom loop is more silent, I hear you say. Yes, but your GPU makes noise too. If you are thinking 'Let's watercool that too', thats another 200 dollars roughly for the waterblock and fittings. Now you have spent 500-700 dollars on making your PC more quiet, a couple percentage points more performance when you could have spent that money on better CPU, GPU and RAM and gotten bigger gains.

So...unless you have the best of the best consumer parts, I don't see the point. Spend the money on better parts.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can easily run an overclocked i9 on an AIO, big air or custom watercooling.

You don't need liquid nitrogen at all...what kind of nonsense is this?

I watercool an i7-9700k and RTX 2080 with custom watercooling.

I don't currently overclock.

These are not mutually inclusive.

I have a watercooled Odroid C2 (similar to Raspberry Pi 3)

We don't watercool because we NEED to, we watercool because we WANT to.