Custom firmware for Thomson router.

gamaray

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Suggest me a good custom firmware available for Thomson router. I am using a cable modem from Technicolor/Thomson. I heard that custom firmware have more additional features.
I heard that DDWRt and Tomato firmwares are having more advanced control panel than built-in features. Please suggest me a good one

gamaray

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
I am using a Cable internet connection from Acanac. The details of the modem https://www.acanac.com/hardware/thomson-tc4300/?package=cable.
I am using a plan with bandwidth of 30 Mbps downloading speed

gamaray

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Some times I can see a yellow triangle at network icon at task bar saying limited internet access.

Things that contain modem in general are not supported on third party firmware because of the lack of drivers from the manufacture.

You would need the exact model number to look it up on the compatible lists. Thomson devices tend to not be supported because the manufacture does not provide the necessary information to be able to build firmware.

gamaray

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Oh!.. that means I need to switch my router to a new one, Does flashing a custom firmware have any security issues? I often do online shopping through this connection.
Thank you very much for your effort for helping me

The main security issue is if you do not spend the time to learn how to use the software. It has many options that if you setup incorrectly can cause you issues. This is partially why router manufactures have removed advanced features from the default software versions.

In general unless you know why you want third party firmware you likely do no need it.

TRENDING THREADS