News Custom GeForce RTX 3090 Ti Features Quad-Slot Cooler

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I'm sure there are going to be a whole bunch of people who pair this (or something similar) with a 12900KS and then proceed to say 'look at how big I am'.

It's that last 5% that makes all the difference, of course.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
That thiccness of the GPU reminds me of old Chinese GPUs like when Colorful tried to passively cool a GTX 680 or when Yeston got their hands on the 7970. It was massive.

Yes, I was a sucker for Chinese GPUs back then, probably still am

EDIT : added some techpowerup link

InvalidError

Titan
yikes evga. you shouldve gone with the 3 slot rear io connector like you had on the rtx 2xxx series. i bet the sag is going to be baaaaad
Since it is a 4-high HSF, it should probably have a 4-wide IO bracket with appropriate mechanical connection to the heatsink for support. A 4-wide bracket wouldn't do much good for support if it is only held onto the GPU by two PCB screws.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Since it is a 4-high HSF, it should probably have a 4-wide IO bracket with appropriate mechanical connection to the heatsink for support. A 4-wide bracket wouldn't do much good for support if it is only held onto the GPU by two PCB screws.
It also would be nice to have vents spread across 4 slots to help get heat out of the case.

Reactions: bigdragon

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. It's funny how marketing can warp my mind over the years. I have a distinct memory of thinking the multi-GPU cards were outlandishly ridiculous for cost and power consumption ($600 , 110watts). Today a top tier halo card for $600 @110watts would be too good to be true.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Having vents at the back of the card is kind of pointless when the fin stack is parallel to the rear IO. You look through those and all you can see is the 'top' fin in the stack blocking nearly all airflow.

Agreed. The cooling system (fins, fans, bracket,etc.) would have to be designed to push heat out of the back instead of recirculating case air.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015

I just watched Jayz2cents video on it and it looks like evga reinforced the rear io connection and there was no flex or sag. hopefully they continue this trend into the future because i was really disappointed with the amount of sag in my 3090 ftw3