[SOLVED] Custom Monitor Power switch

Dec 29, 2019
Hello,

This may be a strange question, But I am looking to design and build a custom Isolative Simulator. As part of that I would like to be able to turn the monitors on or off without actually touching them. My preferred method would be to put them on a custom pilot switch. Does anyone have any advice or concerns regarding this.

My ideas so far is that it would likly be difficult or a bad idea to replace the button on the monitor with a remote switch. So I was thinking a better idea may be to use a switch to interrupt the power going to the monitor. However I dont know if this would damage the monitor, or if it would just go to a sleep or off state when it was switched on.

Advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any ideas adding remote buttons to change the input would be helpful as well.

-Blout

mangaman

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
You could have an external servo trigger the button on the monitor, so you can turn them off remotely. Of course there are many ways to do this, but an Arduino and a 3D printer might come in handy.

As for turning the monitor off from the power source, I would drop that idea. Repeatedly turning off the monitor while it is still on (not sleeping), is generally not a good idea. It's fine every so often, but repeated power interruption while in operation could do more harm than good.

I would also avoid taking apart any monitor, unless you know what you are doing. However if you know what to do, maybe hookup an Arduino to the power button along with an IR sensor to the Arduino. Press a button on a remote and the Arduino turns off the monitor remotely.

Not sure how it will work out, but it may be useful.

mangaman

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
You could have an external servo trigger the button on the monitor, so you can turn them off remotely. Of course there are many ways to do this, but an Arduino and a 3D printer might come in handy.

As for turning the monitor off from the power source, I would drop that idea. Repeatedly turning off the monitor while it is still on (not sleeping), is generally not a good idea. It's fine every so often, but repeated power interruption while in operation could do more harm than good.

I would also avoid taking apart any monitor, unless you know what you are doing. However if you know what to do, maybe hookup an Arduino to the power button along with an IR sensor to the Arduino. Press a button on a remote and the Arduino turns off the monitor remotely.

Not sure how it will work out, but it may be useful.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS