Custom PC Build Advice - Parts List Included

evan.bollentin

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Hello,

I am looking for some advice and/or verification on my parts list I chose for my new build. It has been a while since my last build and I have not been up to date on the newest hardware until I did a couple weeks of digging.

Here is the parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Anubbus/saved/jpHWXL

The main purpose of this system will be for gaming and streaming. I will be running this on a 3 monitor setup @ 1920x1080 per screen. I chose the I7-7700K on the Z270 due to the higher clock speed per core as my understanding is that with games with streaming, more then 4 cores will just go to waste. GTX 1080 8GB version over the TI was purely due to budget as I want to keep the system around $2000 at this time, and I am sure the 1080 should be fine for anything right now.

RAM, drives, and CPU cooler were just chosen out of reviews, so feel free to recommend anything. the power supply is overkill, but gives me the option to expand freely. A large portion of this build too me is building an artistic masterpiece that looks super cool on my desk, thus the case pick. If anyone has any advice or resources for cable management or lighting, do share.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Solution

silverfeather

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
i would go with the new intel 8th gen, i7 8700k 6cores 12 threads, since you will be gaming and streamings, its the perfect choice...

the problem is intel 8th needs the new mobos z370 mobos and its kinda expensive or you can go all the way over with ryzen 7 1700 (8 cores 16 threads)... intel gets better fps but amd gets better multitasking force...totally up to you, the final results its almost the same for both parts (my opinion thou).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C8KL8K this is my ryzen build...you can just change some parts like cooler, PSU and GPU to the ones you chose.

Is everything compatible? Yes.

I changed the motherboard and RAM. I looked to the features on both motherboards and it seems to me there are only minor differences that don't really justify the price hike. Should I be wrong, please inform me. I changed the RAM for color coordination.

I doubled the SSD size. With games these days well exceeding 50GB a 250GB drive is relatively tiny.

I split your 4TB drive in half. What happens if your only storage drive dies? This gives you a measure of protection.

Having an external drive dedicated to backup(s) would be helpful.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($156.34 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($118.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($118.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card ($554.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2071.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-16 11:21 EDT-0400

Optimized your build for better performance...

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($399.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($156.34 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($92.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card ($744.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2036.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-16 11:24 EDT-0400

Nice, very very nice.

Then he kicks the cinder block into the cenote. One of my favorite villians.

evan.bollentin

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

Is there a reason you would think I would need the two extra cores at the lower clock speed. My understanding is that gaming never uses more then 1 core, and with the only other things running being OBS, discord, and a web browser wont I end up sacrificing potential power for the game while leaving power on the table not to be used.

If I am grossly misunderstanding how the system allocates CPU power, please do correct me.

silverfeather

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

youre not wrong, there will be a drop of fps (really small thou) but you gain in multitasking force, since you will be streaming, a stronger multitasking force its good as well...but like i said, in the end, the results is alost the same for any path you choose

Solution

Should this be an editing/rendering and gaming rig I might consider an octocore but this is only a streaming and gaming rig so the 7700K or the 8700K are perfectly suited for your needs imo.

Here is the list:

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($117.60 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.87 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($764.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2196.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-16 11:29 EDT-0400

For gaming as well as streaming this will be better as you are getting 2 more cores this will give little to performance loss even while streaming. Ryzen is good for streaming as well but it is bit weak for gaming compared to old gen Intel. But with 6Cores and 12Threds and high OC capability and decent IPC it is equally good and even better when OC than Ryzen.

silverfeather

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

+1. i just assume that eventually he will be editing his streams records for a youtube channel. almost every does eventually.

Your build is compatible and very good.

Some thoughts:

1. On a new build, I usually recommend going current tech, namely I7-8700K or I5-8600K.
But, both are hard to find today, and the price has been bid up.
For your purposes, I7-7700K will perform equally well and be cheaper.
In addition, some retailers will include two games in the bundle.

2. Yes, the I7-7700K can get hot. However, there is no need to spend $150 on a cooler when a Noctua NH-D15s at half the price will cool equally well.
It will also be quieter, easier to install, and will never leak.

3. Samsung 850 pro is a fine unit, but you are paying for endurance, not performance.
The evo would perform about as well. Then, why not go with a higher performing m.2 pcie 960 evo of some capacity?
A 512gb drive will hold a fair number of games.

4. For storage, you might do better with a cheaper different color of WD drive.
Perhaps WD red.
Here is a nice report on that:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Understanding-the-WD-Rainbow-674/

5. You get what you pay for with graphics cards, GTX1080 seems good.

6. Love the case.

7. You need about 600w for your build and GTX1080.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
I might suggest the less expensive Seasonic focus 750w. rated 9.6 out of 10 by jonnyguru
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151187

Here is the list:

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.94 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.69 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($764.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2139.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-16 12:09 EDT-0400

With GTX1080Ti. Storage can be increased by addition of more HDDs down the lane. Adding more storage later as per the requirement is very easy and will not cost you huge amount of money.

GTX1080Ti is a good improvement over GTX1080 I would recommend going for it.

I like the build with one exception:
A AIO cooler is not as good as you might think.
A less expensive Noctua NH-D15s would cool equally well.

My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
google "H100 leak"
I would support an AIO cooler only in a space restricted case.
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.

I've seen more issues here at Tom's with the H100i. It has been out longer and is more a LOT popular so that does skew the results.

Nice to see the G3 make an appearance. A 10 year RMA window it has. Does EVGA have confidence in its PSU? It does. Vivo released their 24K 650W 80+ Gold PSU not too long ago. They stand behind theirs for three years(3 year warranty). Ummmm. I prefer the 10 year warranty. That PSU however did receive high marks in its first professional(JohnnyGuru) review.

Do you currently have 10 and will simply download the media creation tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 for your OShttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change ? Do you have a flash drive for that?

evan.bollentin

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

I don't know my coolers that well. Do you have anything you like over the H100i? And I do already have an license for 10 Pro.

While I am not a total fan of liquid cooler, Corsair H100i is the best bang for back unit out there right now.
If OP is not after bling factor, then my advice would be Cryorig R1 Ultimate(good looking and performance) with triple fan setup, or Noctua NH-D15/ Thermalright Silver Arrow.

Your original AIO water cooler.

I am not a huge fan of those coolers. If a fan dies on my air cooler I can steal one of the other 5 case fans or just leave it as is because I have 2 fans on my cooler. The pump dies on a AIO cooler and the fix isn't so handy. Their only plus in my book is that they keep the interior of the case looking cleaner. Some just don't like a bulky air cooler. I can easily remove these fans
WIN_20160730_10_53_19_Pro.jpg
and install a nice 280mm radiator for a water cooler but I'm happy with my cooler.

Here is a set of benchmarks of the H100 vs NH-D15.
http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2
The NH-D15 equals or beats the H100 in cooling.
More importantly, it is considerably quieter since the H100 needs 2600 rpm fans to do it's job.
The noctua fans peak at 1200 rpm.

Also, the new s variants of the NH-D15 have been reengineered to clear ram with tall heat spreaders and are offset so as to not interfere with graphics cards in the first pcie x16 slot.

Lastly, noctua now offers color covers and cables for its coolers:
https://www.techpowerup.com/237903/noctua-introduces-chromax-line-fans-cables-and-heatsink-covers

evan.bollentin

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Hey all, thanks for the advice. I integrated some of the recommended parts and this looks to be my final system. I considered the 8700k all day but in the end not being able to get my hands on one anytime, as well as multiple friends who have no issues with their 7700k made me go back to the 7700k.

Here is the final build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h7VtvV

Red is a popular choice for gaming servers. What led you to that decision? Dependability?

P.S. I'm glad we could help you come to a final decision. A few pics when it's complete would be appreciated.

evan.bollentin

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

I read the article that geofelt posted earlier here, and as he recommended, red seems to be an ok, average choice for any and all applications. The drives in this system are purely for everyday storage and I eventually plan to build an external array of high quality drives for media storage. But for right now, saving basic videos, pictures, and everyday stuff the red seems to fit the bill. As a bonus, they rate high on noise level which helps given this system is for streaming.

Really??? :sarcastic: lol