[SOLVED] Custom PC (no display issues)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 27, 2021
Hello,

I have all of the parts for my new PC with the exception of my GPU since GPU's are so hard to come by at the moment. I'm on the stockdrop notifications and whatnot, but still can't seem to land one. I'll be getting an RTX 3070 when I'm able. That said, I am recycling my old R9 280 graphics card just to get by until I get the new GPU.

The build that I put together today is listed below:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type​
Item​
Price​
CPU
Purchased For $300.00​
CPU Cooler
Purchased For $49.00​
Motherboard
$169.99 @ Amazon​
Memory
$81.97 @ Amazon​
Storage
$64.98 @ Amazon​
Storage
Purchased For $40.00​
Video Card
-​
Case
$55.00​
Power Supply
Purchased For $95.00​
Case Fan
$51.99 @ Newegg​
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total
$907.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-27 04:39 EST-0500​

The only difference is that the RAM is actually the 3600 CL18 variety instead of the 3200 CL16. For some reason PCPartPicker doesn't have the 3600 variety so I could not select it.

So with the MoBo being a B550, I loaded the latest MSI BIOS onto a flashdrive and utilized the Flashback button on the back so that I would then be able to use the Ryzen 5 5600x. I had not installed any components at this point...just plugged the CPU and MoBo power cables in and pressed the Flashback button. This ran through its process for a few minutes and the Flashback and USB lights shut off. I then powered down and proceeded to install the rest of the components.

Whenever I boot the PC it fires up just fine. I can see the MoBo lights progress from CPU, DRAM, VGA, and BOOT, and the light turns off for each one as it goes to the next. All of my RGB fans and RAM light up as they should. The PC fan on the Mugen kicks on. The GPU fans start up as well. All seems well, except that I do not get a display on my monitor. The monitor just gives me a "No Signal" message. I pulled the graphics card out and reinserted it into my old PC and that is where I am posting from (using the same GPU and the same monitor).

I was under the impression that my GPU would work on the new PC since I could at least see to get into BIOS and then I could install Windows and update the drivers from there, but I can't seem to get that far. I have the Windows installer loaded onto a different USB, but I cannot get a visual in order to start installing Windows. In searching whether my GPU should work or not, everything keeps saying that Windows should have the basic drivers to get you by until you update, but I don't have Windows yet, nor can I install it without seeing so I can follow the prompts.

Any suggestions or follow-up questions are welcome. Please help! Thanks!

Jan 27, 2021
I suppose that's possible. If you could get your hands on a newer GPU that uses UEFI and try it in your motherboard, that would be good. It also possibly explains why your R9 280 works in your "old GPU" (I assume you meant "old CPU/PC"?).

Also, have your tried using just the DVI to see if you get the "There is no GOP (Graphics Output protocol) support detected in this graphics card" message?
Yeah, I meant that to say old PC. I'm racking my brain trying to figure this all out lol.

I have been trying both the HDMI and the DVI each time now and I still get nothing.

Jan 27, 2021
I suppose that's possible. If you could get your hands on a newer GPU that uses UEFI and try it in your motherboard, that would be good. It also possibly explains why your R9 280 works in your "old GPU" (I assume you meant "old CPU/PC"?).

Also, have your tried using just the DVI to see if you get the "There is no GOP (Graphics Output protocol) support detected in this graphics card" message?
Yes, I did mean to say how it works in my old PC. I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out and I mixed it up.

I have been trying both the HDMI and the DVI cables every time I test. I one HDMI port and two DVI ports. I try all three each time.

Jan 27, 2021
Do you have a "newer" GPU to try, one that supports UEFI? If you can get your hands on one, and if it works, you could likely get into the BIOS and change from UEFI to CSM/Legacy in Boot Options, and then try the R9 280 again.
I don't currently. I am looking at options at Best Buy, but I'm not 100% sure if these cheap cards support UEFI or not. I've been looking up the one below, and it seems to use UEFI, but I'm not seeing it explicitly stated anywhere.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nv...0-graphics-card-black/5901353.p?skuId=5901353

Jan 27, 2021
All,

The GT 1030 did the trick. It allowed me to boot right into BIOS and enable CSM, which then allowed my older GPU to boot into and display the BIOS as well.

So much headache thinking something was broken or that I did something wrong... All is well in the world (my world, at least) today. Thank you all for the support in answering my questions. It is very much appreciate.d

Reactions: rocktalkrock