[SOLVED] Custom RAID 6 Storage With 6 x 3.5 SATA HDD Hot Swap USB 3.1 Gen2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ismail783

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I am very new to RAID.

As far I know RAID 6 can withstand two disk failures at one time. This is what I want.

I heard that modern RAID controllers store metadata on the HDD so we can easily replace one controller with another. I need a controller that I can swap easily without loosing data (in case the controller dies). I do not want to match the model etc or be the victim of vendor lock-In (this is the main reason I am considering a custom solution instead of a off the shelf solution).

I need 6 x 3.5 SATA hot swappable bays. It needs to have HDD status indicator like PowerEdge server (Ex. amber blinking light that says the HDD need replacement. or, alternating amber AND green to say that the HDD is about to fail) or something like that. The idea is, when I see the indicator, I just replace the HDD and rest is done automatically (rebuild the raid array and stuff like that).

The data connection from my PC to the DAS needs to be as fast as possible. I am considering USB 3.1 Gen2 (10 Gbps) or anything faster.

I am using Linux, in case this information become relevant at any point.

So, my questions are:

What casing do I need to use?

What RAID controller do I need to use?

I am looking for RAID storage (DAS), not NAS.

P.S. I am actually willing to consider off the shelf solution if that meet my requirements (can replace the RAID controller, support RAID 6, has 6-bays, has USB 3.1 Gen2, has failing or failed hdd indicator, HDDs are hot swappable).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Before 2000, when I was a teen I lost my data. Then googling was not sufficient for me. Somehow I landed on tomshardware. Probably Mr. Tom himself helped me himself to recover my data (that is probably how I got hooked up to forums). Anyways, after that I changed my email address to gmail and lost that previous account. Then somewhere around 2008 I created another account for something similar probably. I am saying this because I have no doubt that you try to give the best advice you can.

You actually understood my problem and gave a proper solution. You are right, I am going to buy an (or maybe two) additional hard-drive and take daily incremental backups.

I was stressed out and that is why overthinking thus over-complicating the solution.

It happens to everyone at times!

Generally, my policy is to take the simplest path possible to fix a problem. RAID does have some very good uses -- for example, high-end video production that uses a lot of sequential data and editing of gigantic files -- but when RAID isn't a good option, using it can lead to many more headaches than it solves.

A simple backup onto multiple hard drives is easy to set up and easy to maintain. I personally use Bvckup 2 as it has a small footprint and offers what I need. Between my hard drives and the cloud, there's really nothing to give me headaches to maintain. Other people use other software like Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image.