[SOLVED] Custom water cooling for both CPU and GPU?

WilliamDk

Prominent
Mar 16, 2019
I've been looking a lot for a custom water cooling kit with both support for Ryzen 7 2700x and the MSI gaming x trio rtx 2080, though I can't find anything. I have a NZXT H700i case. Any help?

Solution
Back when I had less income than I do today, it was very common that I planned and purchased watercooling gear for a few months leading up to the time I would actually do the build. I did a lot of planning and calculation on exactly what I wanted, why I wanted it and making sure I got the best for the money I spent.

I wish we saw more of this today.
I've sent a PM to our most experienced custom loop enthusiast. I know he'll get to you whenever he is next online and he is the best person to ask specific open loop questions to directly. If there is a kit or a combination of parts that will work best for your AM4 + Gaming X Trio configuration, I'm quite sure he'll know about it.

Either way, good luck.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Well for one, you aren't necessarily going to find a single kit that supports that exact GPU as most MSI cards are not reference PCB from Nvidia. Any kit that you would find that also supports a GPU is most likely going to be for reference cards.

Here is how I would approach this:

Find the kit you like with the size of radiator you need (hint: it is either going to need to be a thick 240, a 280 or 360 radiator). Then, you would need to find a block that fits your card (you will need to check by SKU and by exact model), then also get a couple fittings to add it to the cooling loop.

Can you give some indication as to what you have found so far?

(Hopefully you have done some homework to understand your cooling delta requirements, total loop TDP and some ideas of watercooling components you want)

WilliamDk

Prominent
Mar 16, 2019
Hello!

I've been looking much, but i can only seem to find fairly cheap kits that support AM3+. Other than that, i founda kit from EKWB (360mm radiator) with support for AM4. They also have the RTX 2080 block.
But what i am looking for, is a complete kit. The kit on EKWB costs around 300€ and adding GPU block is ~ 150€.
So in total 450€. Thats the ONLY kit with support for my RTX 2080, i've found. I would like to have some other options. And the other kits i found, for lga1151 and gtx 1080 were about 250-300$ which is quite a lot to save.
And actually, tbh, no. I haven't done any homework regarding custom water loops. I know that i need a 360 radiator for both gpu and cpu. I know how to install it though.

Thanks =)

Open loop water cooling is not cheap. It's about quietness, getting every last drop of cooling power possible, and looks. The price : performance curve is not in the favor of the average person. I just checked out the cheap parts (Barrow) to add a barbed drain valve on the bottom of my radiator...$40. The Radiator was another $60 after shipping. The 6 rigid tube fittings: $70 6 rigid tubes: $28 Pump: $60. Pump cover: $25, GPU block: $90 (Bykski) Reservoir: $50. Mount $25 + Fans + cooling liquid = $448 + fans + cooling liquid all in all. And this is the cheap stuff.

Honestly 450 sounds pretty good if that's all in. I believe I was around 750ish all total, but I also went with a dual rad setup. That was an xspc cpu block, rads, fans,and pump, ek gpu block, a couple different branded fittings, and soft tubing. Like stated above, not a cheap way to go.

Definitely do a lot of research into water cooling, and whether or not the price vs performance is for you.

That is the right answer. Custom loop isn't like an AIO. It's rarely just a "I'm going to do this and it will be done by this Friday" kind of situation. For most people, it is a months long endeavor into finding all the "just right" parts which are compatible and nitpicking over random details until you are sure you've asked all the right questions, sometimes for EACH individual component, and even after assembly it's probably not going to be a set it and forget type situation. It will be an ONGOING hobby, forever, so long as you continue to use that loop in your system or add parts to it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Back when I had less income than I do today, it was very common that I planned and purchased watercooling gear for a few months leading up to the time I would actually do the build. I did a lot of planning and calculation on exactly what I wanted, why I wanted it and making sure I got the best for the money I spent.

I wish we saw more of this today.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS