[SOLVED] Customized build for a Optiplex 990 SFF?

Solution
Says in the video description he used a Corsair 550W PSU (probably CX550) probably stashed it behind outside the case.
Edit: yup, you can see it back there in the video. Perhaps a VS550

Yurimio

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
Ahh! Thanks you have a good eye.
Any ideas as to how you would connect a Corsair 550w PSU to a Dell OEM?Heard the wires can be quite finicky.
And is it safe to have the psu just hanging out like that?

Ahh! Thanks you have a good eye.
Any ideas as to how you would connect a Corsair 550w PSU to a Dell OEM?Heard the wires can be quite finicky.
And is it safe to have the psu just hanging out like that?

Your Dell Optiplex 990 SFF motherboard has standard connectors, here:

91i0hgln2TL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It uses standard a 20+4pin ATX connector for the motherboard and a standard 4pin eps 12v connector for the CPU.

Any standard ATX PSU will work.

You won't be able to fit a standard ATX PSU in that case though. Also the motherboard won't fit in a standard ATX case as it is has a proprietary form factor.
You're basically stuck with that Dell OEM case.

Having the PSU outside the case will require cleaning it more often, as dust will go in quite fast.

Last edited:

Yurimio

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
Is the mobo on the Mt Unit and the SFF unit the same? If so then I can just get the standard ATX PSU like what ChumP stated. I know size willbe a factor but even with a tfx psu, I don't think I'll be able to cram it into the small SFF that i have. :(

Is the mobo on the Mt Unit and the SFF unit the same? If so then I can just get the standard ATX PSU like what ChumP stated. I know size willbe a factor but even with a tfx psu, I don't think I'll be able to cram it into the small SFF that i have. :(

No... the motherboard on the MT is a standard micro ATX form factor. That will fit in standars cases.

Your motherboard from the Optiplex 990 SFF is a smaller form factor. Unfortunately is a proprietary form factor.... it will be a pain finding a standard case that will actually fit this form factor. The same is for the PSU... if you want an ATX sized PSU you'll need to run it from outside the case.

If you have this PSU currently:

dell-power-supply-power-supply-dell-optiplex-sff-790990-d240es-00-240-dps-240wb-watts-en~3.jpg

I would trust it running a 1050ti even though it has only 240W... it's a Delta model with 80+ gold certification, should be a solid unit. It will handle a 75W 1050TI. Check your PSU model or post a picture with the label here.

The only requirements would be that the card is half height(low profile) and that the card doesn' t require auxialliary 6 pin pcie power... there are such 1050ti's on the market.

If you have the above PSU, you could just buy a GTX 1050ti LOW PROFILE and call it a day. Just make sure that the card doesn't require an auxilliary 6pin pcie power connector. One of these models will work:

MSI GTX 1050ti 4GT LP

Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC LP 4G

Last edited:

Yurimio

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
Thanks for the clarification! ;D

So what I'm getting at is that both the MT and the SFF motherboard for the 990 optiplex (even though they are different in size) works with standard atx psus.

Just that the SFF motherboard will be a pain the in bum in terms of transferral it to a normal case.
And if I am to add a atx psu to my SFF, it'll have to placed outside. ;(

TRENDING THREADS