News Cyberhack Hides Malicious Code in Your Graphics Card's VRAM

Of course you can hide malicious code (or anything else) inside image file. But in that case, that code can't be self executable -that is, image file is only a container (carrier) . To actually execute code (inside image file), separate app (exe, bat, etc.) is needed. And that is then a matter of "don't run an app you don't know and trust" -should be written on front of every PC case.
In my opinion, in 99.9% cases, PC's get infected because users are just opening every stuff they get.

May 12, 2021
Is linux and mac os safe? does this only work on windows or it affects everything that has a gpu , and what about apu s?

USAFRet

Titan
Is linux and mac os safe? does this only work on windows or it affects everything that has a gpu , and what about apu s?
From the article:

"For the exploit to run, a user needs a Windows PC that supports OpenCL 2.0 or higher. It has allegedly been tested and works with Intel's UHD 620/630 integrated graphics and Radeon RX 5700 and GeForce GTX 740M and GTX 1650 graphics cards. "

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I'm sure the people who make anti-malware are already hard at work on a solution for this. They are usually pretty fast on the uptake when new threats present themselves.

Todd Sauve

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
They ought to be able to track down these hackers posting malicious code and tools and toss them in the clink. I have no sympathy for them when they get caught.

Reactions: vacavalier

vacavalier

Reputable
Mar 28, 2020
They ought to be able to track down these hackers posting malicious code and tools and toss them in the clink. I have no sympathy for them when they get caught.

Problem with hackers is, they reside on all continents and some are group-hacks sponsered by their homeland governments ; i.e Russia, China, etc. This type of code presents obvious and direct ramifications for coin-ming operations/ farms.