Question CyberPower CP1350AVRLCD3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kanewolf

Titan
here is something puzzling to me. On CyberPower's site, they list the CP1350AVRLCD3 as running for 14/4min on half/full load. but they have the CP1500AVRLCD3 running for 12/3min on half/full load. why would that be? could it be a misprint?
The two units use the same battery. So, a unit with a higher allowable VA rating will have a shorter runtime. The 9AH battery is the limiting factor.
My APC commercial 1500VA UPS uses four 12V 9AH batteries. Still 1500VA but four times the battery reserve. You can't use the VA rating to judge a UPS.

Reactions: velocci

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
The two units use the same battery. So, a unit with a higher allowable VA rating will have a shorter runtime. The 9AH battery is the limiting factor.
My APC commercial 1500VA UPS uses four 12V 9AH batteries. Still 1500VA but four times the battery reserve. You can't use the VA rating to judge a UPS.

ah I see. so why would someone spend more on the 1500 model if the battery won't last as long as the 1350 model?

kanewolf

Titan
ah I see. so why would someone spend more on the 1500 model if the battery won't last as long as the 1350 model?
If they have a load (VA) greater than the 1350 will support, it may just error and not support at all. But the 1500, might carry it for a short time.
This all goes back to my statement in post # 17. You HAVE to measure you actual usage. You are just guessing about everything without actual power measurements.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
If they have a load (VA) greater than the 1350 will support, it may just error and not support at all. But the 1500, might carry it for a short time.
This all goes back to my statement in post # 17. You HAVE to measure you actual usage. You are just guessing about everything without actual power measurements.

ok I understand.

I know, i'm just trying to understand how it works right now. i'm reading from others that have more things plugged into theirs and the battery is lasting very long. i might just buy the 1350 model and see how long the battery lasts. if its not long enough, I can return it to amazon. I don't want to spend another $60 on the electricity usage monitor.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Here is a QNAP how to -- https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/qts/5.0.x/en-us/configuring-the-ups-settings-2AD2FE5E.html
You put a USB cable between the port at the top of the UPS and your NAS. Then you configure the UPS monitor software on the NAS. When the UPS battery gets low it will automatically shut down the NAS. I wouldn't worry about network gear.

how do you put the UPS software on the nas? I can't find the software in the available applications to download on the nas and the Cyber Power site only shows this application available for windows, mac or linux.

USAFRet

Titan
how do you put the UPS software on the nas? I can't find the software in the available applications to download on the nas and the Cyber Power site only shows this application available for windows, mac or linux.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tuto...-uninterruptible-power-supply-with-a-qnap-nas

XZTOH80.png

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Update: it takes almost 24 minutes to shutdown my nas. About 20 minutes just to stop Virtualization Station with a VM still running. I suspect it would be quicker if i first shutdown the VM then shutdown the nas, but i wanted to see how long it would take in a case where the power goes out during the night or when i’m not home.

ajohnson30

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
It's not a misprint. This is what confuses many people. Both models use the SAME two batteries inside. The 1500VA version can just handle more load, which means the batteries wouldn't last as long at half of that load. If you put the same load on the 1500VA unit as you put on the 1350 (not a half load, but the same load on both units) then they would both probably last the same amount of time.

Your actual runtime is probably only going to be measured when you have the unit in hand, plugged in, and testing it.

edit - my bad, for some reason my browser didnt show the 2nd page right away...

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
It's not a misprint. This is what confuses many people. Both models use the SAME two batteries inside. The 1500VA version can just handle more load, which means the batteries wouldn't last as long at half of that load. If you put the same load on the 1500VA unit as you put on the 1350 (not a half load, but the same load on both units) then they would both probably last the same amount of time.

Your actual runtime is probably only going to be measured when you have the unit in hand, plugged in, and testing it.

edit - my bad, for some reason my browser didnt show the 2nd page right away...

I know this now. I plan on getting the CP1350AVRLCD3 today.