Question CyberPower GMA3200BST Repair/Upgrade Advice Needed

Jun 24, 2019
I ordered this PC from BestBuy and its awesome when it works but it has some serious issues. This is the second one I have been through now (returned the first one after a week). If you look at the negative reviews for this model on BestBuy's website you can see a bunch of people are having the same issues as me with this model. (one of them has nearly the same identical problems as me and even went through 2 of them like me, lol)

Anyways, the symptoms I have is mainly freezing that progresses into a full system lock-up requiring a restart. However I have played really long gaming sessions with no issues. It seemed to only manifest in a few ways at first, when waking the PC after its been idle for an extended period, while browsing on Chrome, and sometimes after exiting a game. Initially I had artifacting and sound problems too but I sent the PC back to CyberPower and they replaced the GPU so now its just the freezing, however it has gotten worse. Now I get a total system lock-up within minutes of signing into Windows. You might be wondering how it passed their post repair tests and what I have discovered is that if I reinstall windows (which they did after repair) the problems seem to disappear for about a 4 or 5 days before they start to manifest again. The only software have on the PC is a handful of PC game stores, games, and basic essentials like 7zip and chrome. So, what I ended up doing is getting a $1500 refund through PayPal but I get to keep the PC which brings me to my main inquiry.

Should I repair the PC or should I gut it and use the parts for a new build? If so which part/s do you think could be causing the problem and which parts do you think would be safe to move to a new build?

CyberPower GMA3200BST Specs:
--RTX 2070
--Ryzen 2700X
--16gb DDR4 2400mhz
--asus prime b450m-a micro atx
--Channel Well gps600s-g PSU

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Full refund and you get to keep it?
Free is about the only way I'd keep a CyberPower system.

First off, try a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.

Jun 24, 2019
Full refund and you get to keep it?
Free is about the only way I'd keep a CyberPower system.

Yeah I know its crazy I got to keep it and yes I am learning my lesson about CyberPower the hard way.

First off, try a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.

I have tried doing a clean install using the "Fresh Install" option so that it will wipe everything and download a fresh W10 copy but I still get the same results. Works fine for about 4 or 5 days and then gradually starts freezing worse and worse.

Also, what is the make/model of the included power supply? Those guys often bundle junk PSUs and that can lead to all sorts of instability problems.

Channel Well gps600s-g This is 600w I am guessing ? (updating the main post to reflect this also)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Drop the speed of the memory (in your BIOS) to 2133. Remove any OC settings of the CPU as well in the BIOS (including any auto-OC settings). Make sure everything is stock. Looking for stability, before tweaking for performance.

Now that you have a refund and a free PC. Use some of that money to purchase a decent PSU. Like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-650-gold-ssr-650fx-650w/p/N82E16817151186

Jun 24, 2019
If I wanted to use some these parts in a new custom build which parts would be safe (not likely to cause problems) to use?

I built my previous PC and I am leaning towards that option honestly. I just bought this one because I was being impatient with my tax return money. lol

Jun 24, 2019
I get that but I'm worried that I may have a hardware problem so I'm not sure that it would be safe to use all of the parts. Would this freezing be likely to be caused by a cheap PSU or possibly the motherboard?

I checked the BIOS settings and it doesn't look like anything is overclocked. All stock.

Also, as a side note I checked the paperwork they sent back with my PC and it looks like they also changed both sticks of RAM as well but the rep just told me they changed the GPU.

Jun 24, 2019
Replaced my PSU today with a Corsair RM850X. I looked for the one linked above but none of my local retailers carried it. However this one has a pretty good review on here so I gave it a shot. I tried to get something smaller than the 850w but this one was on sale so it was actually cheaper than the lower wattage version. So far no freezes but I've only been using it for about 30 mins. We'll see how it goes over the next couple days.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Replaced my PSU today with a Corsair RM850X. I looked for the one linked above but none of my local retailers carried it. However this one has a pretty good review on here so I gave it a shot. I tried to get something smaller than the 850w but this one was on sale so it was actually cheaper than the lower wattage version. So far no freezes but I've only been using it for about 30 mins. We'll see how it goes over the next couple days.
That is a decent PSU. It should do well.

Jun 24, 2019
Well bad news. After working pretty much flawlessly all day yesterday, I went to wake it up this morning and it wouldn't wake up. The RGB lights were still lit and the fans were still running but no display. So I rebooted and it came on fine, however I only made it about 2 minutes into a YouTube video and it froze up accompanied by a loud buzzing sound. I could still move the mouse around and it didn't go to a BSOD but everything was completely unresponsive. This is pretty much the same type of freeze I have been getting but haven't had the loud buzzing since before they changed the GPU.

Aug 26, 2019
Just because its a cyberpower PC doesn't make it junk. They use parts of varying quality but generally they work well. Not all of em are assembled perfectly just like any manufacturer and ive seen some of their crap. Most people have no issue with their PCs. As far as that 600w gold PSU, its actually a good one. U can look up tests but CWT supplies psus for many companies, evga, corsair etc but that model in particular is not s cheap one. Yes its unbranded and not modular but that same model in modular form is sold by a few companies in the $150 range. It performs well in the tests ive seen. I know its too late now but I'd keep that psu as a back up as it is a high quality psu.

Nov 26, 2019
Round 2: Got rid of the (2x8) 16gb TeamGroup 3ghz ram sticks and I replaced them with (4x8) 32gb Corsair 3ghz ram sticks.

Now if this doesn't work what should I try next?
Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the same cyber power pc as you with the exact same issues! Would really like to know if the 32gb ram was the fix, or if anything ended up happening

Jun 24, 2019
CyberPower dicked me around and kept my pc for a month and sent it back to me with the same issues. Then they wanted me to pay $70 shipping to send it back to them again. So I just said to hell with it I ended up replacing everything my self except the cpu and the motherboard. Even then I was still having trouble so the problem had to be related to one of those 2 components. So basically after everything was done my refund $$$ from Paypal was used to build a new PC. The only thing I ended up keeping was the GPU, hard drive, fans, and the case. I would have kept the ram too but I sold that to a buddy and bought faster ram.

Reactions: ASAP_Sharkk
Nov 26, 2019
CyberPower dicked me around and kept my pc for a month and sent it back to me with the same issues. Then they wanted me to pay $70 shipping to send it back to them again. So I just said to hell with it I ended up replacing everything my self except the cpu and the motherboard. Even then I was still having trouble so the problem had to be related to one of those 2 components. So basically after everything was done my refund $$$ from Paypal was used to build a new PC. The only thing I ended up keeping was the GPU, hard drive, fans, and the case. I would have kept the ram too but I sold that to a buddy and bought faster ram.
Ok so focus on the motherboard or the CPU then. Thank you very much for the reply!