[SOLVED] CyberpowerPC GXiVR8060A10 has problems booting up

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
My son has a CyberpowerPC GXiVR8060A10 and we had a storm Monday and the electricity went out for a while. He went back to his PC and now it only starts up right when you plug it in and the lights (LED lights) and fans work, but the monitor doesn't come on at all. The LED lights stay on about 5 seconds then die out for a second and then stay on for 5 sec, then repeat. I'm not sure if the motherboard is messed up, the CPU, the power supply, etc...
any ideas? any ways to check ... like a process?
Like I said, i unplugged it for a while and plugged back in and immediately it goes on, but nothing on monitor.
thanks for any help on this.

Solution
OK .. I'm seriously at a loss for words now. I brought it home that day after they ran it perfectly at the shop and plugged it in and started it up again and monitor didn't go on. I even used other monitors in the house and it didn't work. I checked connections ... and then it started with the starting and stopping again with fans and lighting (RGB LED). I can't begin to imagine what is happening. Someone said to me that if everything else works in the house on those outlets, then it's all good.
I even did multimeter and I'm getting 120. Could it be that something shook lose after coming back home? what are the odds... ?
=

Yeah that is strange. Can you try plugging it in at a place that is not your house? Because that...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I see there are various options for this rig, but seems to be based in an 11th gen i5 F skew with various GPU. This is a bit unfortunate from a troubleshooting perspective as eliminating the GPU from the equation to run only onboard graphics isn't an option.

Do you happen to have a low power GPU on hand? Something that doesn't require power input?

It might be worthwhile to try resetting CMOS, perhaps even disconnecting all the drives and see if the motherboard can boot to a splash screen and or/BIOS.
If not, probably going to need to take it to a professional.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
I don't have an extra GPU. Resetting CMOS is just manually, right? Unplug everything and take out battery, then put back in and restart and see?
when you say disconnect all the drives, you mean disconnect everything to the motherboard? thanks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
According to the exact motherboard you may have a button to press and/or a couple of pins to short which will set all the default parameters.

By drives I mean any storage connected to the motherboard. C drive. M.2/SSD/HDD. If you disconnect those drives physically the motherboard should either boot to BIOS or show a no boot device error message. If that shows up it can be indicative of the base system being operational.

If the system was up and running when the power went out it could have caused a corruption on the OS disk, but even with that you should be seeing a splash screen, options to boot to BIOS, boot order and so forth. These items can be disabled in some cased via options in the BIOS, such as fast boot and others.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Before you start playing with jumpers, I suspect this could be a PSU issue. Cyberpower is known to skimp on PSU quality and include poor quality PSUs. Maybe try it with another (better) PSU first and see if that solves your problem.
I might buy this, but how do I know if it will fit? What do I need to pay attention to for match up my system and case? ... CORSAIR - CX-M Series CX750M Semi-Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - Black

g-unit1111

Titan
for replacing the PSU ... just unplug everything and put back the way it was ... and then power back up? Will it restart like normal, or will it go to BIOS?

Yeah as long as you don't knock anything else out of place or break anything you should be good. Replacing a PSU is pretty much that - just unplug the old one and plug the new one in. Just be careful when you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy Sawyer

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Yeah as long as you don't knock anything else out of place or break anything you should be good. Replacing a PSU is pretty much that - just unplug the old one and plug the new one in. Just be careful when you do.
Sorry to say.... After installing the Corsair PSU, It didn't work. I even tried to reset the CMOS. Still doing the same thing. I believe I will take it to the shop tomorrow.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Yeah sounds like something could have been fried then. Taking it to the shop is probably the best idea, though they might tell you that there's more parts that need to be replaced.
Strangest thing. I brought it to the shop this morning ... walked in, he hooked it up to monitor, and it started up fine. I was like, "what the hell"
I did tell him I changed the PSU and did a reset on CMOS, and took out battery for 5 minutes. He said maybe the monitor got short circuited are something. That is the one thing I didn't check. not really sure. Because the lights in case were still going on and off every 5 seconds. I said, "maybe you guys have good luck or something, when you touched it."

g-unit1111

Titan
Strangest thing. I brought it to the shop this morning ... walked in, he hooked it up to monitor, and it started up fine. I was like, "what the hell"
I did tell him I changed the PSU and did a reset on CMOS, and took out battery for 5 minutes. He said maybe the monitor got short circuited are something. That is the one thing I didn't check. not really sure. Because the lights in case were still going on and off every 5 seconds. I said, "maybe you guys have good luck or something, when you touched it."

Huh that' s interesting. I would have never thought of that!

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Huh that' s interesting. I would have never thought of that!
OK .. I'm seriously at a loss for words now. I brought it home that day after they ran it perfectly at the shop and plugged it in and started it up again and monitor didn't go on. I even used other monitors in the house and it didn't work. I checked connections ... and then it started with the starting and stopping again with fans and lighting (RGB LED). I can't begin to imagine what is happening. Someone said to me that if everything else works in the house on those outlets, then it's all good.
I even did multimeter and I'm getting 120. Could it be that something shook lose after coming back home? what are the odds... ?
=

g-unit1111

Titan
=

Yeah that is strange. Can you try plugging it in at a place that is not your house? Because that could indicate that an outlet or even your transformer got fried, in which case the problem is electrical and not necessarily connected to your PC. But if the motherboard is powering on, but not POSTing that means that it could be that there's something broken on the motherboard itself that is preventing your PC from powering up.

Solution

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Yeah that is strange. Can you try plugging it in at a place that is not your house? Because that could indicate that an outlet or even your transformer got fried, in which case the problem is electrical and not necessarily connected to your PC. But if the motherboard is powering on, but not POSTing that means that it could be that there's something broken on the motherboard itself that is preventing your PC from powering up.

I brought it back to the shop and it didn't work, so they did some testing and narrowed it down to the mother board. he removed everything and then connected, it did start up, but he said it will fail again. he said the capacitors on the board probably got messed up with the power failure in the house. They ordered another GIGABYTE mother board and will put in this week. I'll let you all know how that all goes.

thanks,