CyberPowerPC - is it really a horror show?

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
A Cyberpower PC can be OK. The knock is usually they use a cheap power supply and that you can generally build the same thing cheaper. If your not inclined to build your own, make sure you opt for the best quality PSU you can afford. You can search the PSU model number here to get an idea of how good it is.

USAFRet

Titan
There are much better ways to get a PC than Cyberpower.

We've seen a LOT of horror stories in here.
Poor construction, mediocre quality parts on those things that buyers don't notice (PSU), insanely bad customer support...
The list goes on.

BHPhotovideo is a good place. CyberpowerPC is not.

mwryder55

Distinguished
I have had a CyberPower PC for a couple of years and only had two problems with it. The first was they routed one of the hoses for the water cooler next to one of the case fans so that in time the vibration wore a hole in the tube. The other was the power supply that everyone mentioned. It was OK for the video card that came with the machine but was not up to the job for an upgraded GPU.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I've heard mixed things about Cyber, but mostly good. B&H has a very solid reputation.

I'll only add against recommending another 'x****pc' company that also does custom builds. I got a customized laptop from them that became a nightmare. Never doing that again. After nearly all the custom components had failed one by one, more phone calls, emails and trips to the local post than I can remember. I eventually ended up replacing them myself and have been fine since. That also included them mailing back the wrong parts(one time someone else's order altogether) and me having to mail them back.

From my experience with that 'other' company I can accurately tell you that any time something fails they'll probably ask you to send the whole unit in. Really look into what Cyber's policy regarding such things and if they pay the postage/shipping or you. If you get what you want and it works perfectly then enjoy it, if not a rocky road is a minor description of the h**l you can go through.

Edit: I almost forgot to add that things started going south day 1 when they shipped the wrong laptop and I had to send it back. Roughly 30-60 days after the correct one arrived and was up and running the first failures began . . . .

There's also another company called "I buy power' but I really don't know much about them.

USAFRet

Titan

To me, that is a MAJOR assembly fail.

I've had two over the many years and both had a minor screwed up something on delivery that was easily fixed and both are still running well.

Customer service was reasonable the couple times I talked to them. So, in a pinch they are OK but not great. YMMV.

As everyone stated, better to build your own - you either can do it for less or spend the same for a more powerful build.

Edit: Yikes - I just followed the link. I would NOT recommend dropping that kinda cash for a CyberPowerPC.

spodeworld

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Thanks for all the feedback....when I first saw this set up I thought I may have found a good match for what I need. Too many cautionary tales though....so I guess my search is not over.

Thanks!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
They will use the cheapest crap they can either have made for them or buy.
I have seen them use 125 watt AMD processors in boards that aren't made for over 95 watts.
Their standard power supply is just overated garbage.

USAFRet

Titan
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2933633/bottom-case-filters.html
"Four years ago, I got my system custom built from CyberPowerPC. I realize that was a mistake, but that was four years ago when I didn't know much about computers. My tower is the AZZA Genesis 9000 and the dust filters at the bottom of the case are glued shut."

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3249706/cyberpowerpc-burnt-flame.html
"My CYBERPOWERPC burnt up in flame last night around 4am. Thanks God that I heard smoke alarm sound from 2nd floor. Yes, the PC was on. Scary experience! "

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2990661/asap.html
"...so i went to open cd drive but it wouldn't open and i see inside no cables connected..."

If you have an idea of the build you want, go to PCPartpicker.com and start entering the parts. That will give you an idea of the cost, and it will also calculate the wattage for the PSU. Then you can go to the Tom's Hardware PSU Tier List to select a quality PSU.

Don't forget to select an operating system to get an idea of the total cost.

Then you can link the PCPartpicker permalink back here and folks will comment on your proposed build.

Edit: I looked at the specs in the link you provided, and no surprise the PSU Brand/Model were not specified.

Building your own computer is easy. Building it takes 2-3 hours, and installing windows takes about 30mins to 45mins, and after that downloading and installing drivers takes another 30-45 mins. After all that, have it download windows updates at night, it may take a 2-4 passes to get them all.

Building a PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4
Installing Windows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAdwedmj1M

Protip for installing drivers safely, install them one at a time and restart the computer after each install to avoid breaking the OS, which can happen if you try to install them all at once.