News Cyberpunk 2077 One-Click Tool Promises Up To 30 FPS Uplift

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shadow.garret

Honorable
Jul 26, 2018
TLDR: This guy is a theft, he stole the code from an older open source project to make money.

I feel like this guy just took the open source code from a tool that does the exact same thing and was released way earlier than his tool (the original is by derplayer and is found on nexusmods). All this guy did was take some one else's hard work, reskinned it (taking away some of the original usefulness), and added a big paypal button so he could monetize some one else's hard work for him self. Yes, it is legal to do so as the original code was open source but damn dude, dick move. Wondering why his is closed source? I guess he doesn't want you to compare all the code he copied.
I've compared the sources for both and I see not a single copied line, there are of completely different quality and approach.

I personally don't recommend you to use this utility for tweaking your FPS. I recently came upon an post from github from some user. He did cracked this program and received It's source code and so you think, this utility contains malware. Why? The thing is, that according to some people, the code was plagiarized by another person from NexusMods. By the way, this tool written on C# but still everything is even worse. In this "optimizer" there is a corny little software that changes the settings of the game, but after launching the software, it creates a separate hidden method that is obfuscated and injects cryptographically encrypted malware into RAM. The malware itself (from the module) looks like an application resource (in fact, it is completely encrypted / packed and cannot be recognised to today's modern antiviruses) and weigths tiny 4 KB. Isn't this strange guys? As I previously said, this malware is encrypted and even VirusTotal recognized 2/71.
That blob is an encrypted .net assembly with empty class and another resource file, with an Icon (this is a result of obfuscation software LogicNP Software going nuts).
Here's the contents after decryption (decryption methods are all in the exe, just need to use it to save the output file): View: https://imgur.com/a/FZKjnuE

Dec 26, 2020
TLDR: This guy is a theft, he stole the code from an older open source project to make money.

I feel like this guy just took the open source code from a tool that does the exact same thing and was released way earlier than his tool (the original is by derplayer and is found on nexusmods). All this guy did was take some one else's hard work, reskinned it (taking away some of the original usefulness), and added a big paypal button so he could monetize some one else's hard work for him self. Yes, it is legal to do so as the original code was open source but damn dude, dick move. Wondering why his is closed source? I guess he doesn't want you to compare all the code he copied.

The tool was deobfuscated and inspected on Github and Reddit. There is 0 similarities in code between my tool and the one that you are referring to

Dec 26, 2020
With some help from this post Removed I decided to remove the suspicious code and recompile it. If someone want the tool without the strange virus messages and without some fancy binary. Have fun!
Source code: Removed

Thanks for using my work and "removing" nonexistent " suspicious code to promote your stuff all over the place. Great work, buddy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gen_angry
Dec 28, 2020
Everyone with minimal effort can still see the three methods in A.ce6797ef116d9c2108c1ff7a9e2efdd95 class that overwrite the content of user.ini so you haven't really succeeded in hiding how your tool works.
The only thing you've achieved by using obfuscation here is looking suspicious!

As an added bonus, the increased entropy of the obfuscated binary is bound to trip a bunch of virus scanners' heuristics!

Dec 26, 2020
Everyone with minimal effort can still see the three methods in A.ce6797ef116d9c2108c1ff7a9e2efdd95 class that overwrite the content of user.ini so you haven't really succeeded in hiding how your tool works.
The only thing you've achieved by using obfuscation here is looking suspicious!
I'm fine with that. There is nothing uncrackable in this world I know that perfectly, and in fact, all those rumors promoted it much more than I ever could hope, since it works, it's not a virus after all, and it helped many people

Dec 26, 2020
As a community finally figured, there is no virus or any sort of harmful code. Imagine what kind of idiot I should be to share the virus signed with my real name, on my YouTube channel with YT partnership that has all my credentials.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
The tool was deobfuscated and inspected on Github and Reddit. There is 0 similarities in code between my tool and the one that you are referring to

Please explain why it was obfuscated and encrypting data in the first place.

Your code is a guest on other peoples' systems. It (and you) should be transparent about what it does and how it does it. It is not entitled to any resource it does not need to accomplish its task, or to hide data from the user.

Dec 26, 2020
Please explain why it was obfuscated and encrypting data in the first place.

Your code is a guest on other peoples' systems. It (and you) should be transparent about what it does and how it does it. It is not entitled to any resource it does not need to accomplish its task, or to hide data from the user.
I've been 100% transparent and multiple times (at least 20) explained what does it do. Also, I have a right to protect my code as any other developer

gen_angry

Reputable
Dec 28, 2020
Thank you Deepdelver for removing the repo.

(Speaking generally) CodeZ1LLa's views may not be agreeable but he's caught a lot of additional hate that he doesn't really deserve. The 'forced audit' due to widespread popularity and the strange beliefs was expected. However, once it was found clean - that should have been the end of it. He definitely does not deserve his deconstructed code being stolen, modified to remove all references back to him, and reposted as it happened.

As a hobby coder myself, this would give me great pause on releasing anything publicly myself.

Reactions: _CodeZ1LLa_
Dec 26, 2020

As you can see, the thread that you are referring to was removed because of false accusations. My program has been cracked up and investigated, and there appeared to be absolutely nothing harmful and has zero similarities with the code that I allegedly copied according to some folks.
It feels like a forced frisking, while I did nothing wrong but tried to help the community. The publications about the tool that was driving traffic to my video and letting me generate some revenue for holidays were removed, moreover, big media posted the same thing that was in that misleading thread accusing me of all sins. Saying that I feel like <Mod Edit> - means say nothing. People who were roasting me for nothing with big enthusiasm, don' have the same enthusiasm to restore my reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AndrewJacksonZA

avenge

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2014
Hi! I'm the creator of the EZ Optimizer tool. I just want to clarify that this tool is mostly for people with older hardware, so they can enjoy the game too. It helps in GPU bounded scenarios, which is most likely is not the case with your RTX 3080. What about "leaving the card unstable", I can ensure you that it has nothing to do with the utility since it doesn't touch the GPU in any way, and solely tweaks the game's files only. So, the issues that you may have are likely related to unstable OC or faulty hardware. Congrats on getting 3080, I still can't buy one for my reviews. Happy Holidays!
Not making difference - GTX 970, Ryzen 5 1600 AF @3.9 GHz.

Dec 27, 2020
As you can see, the thread that you are referring to was removed because of false accusations. My program has been cracked up and investigated, and there appeared to be absolutely nothing harmful and has zero similarities with the code that I allegedly copied according to some folks.
It feels like a forced frisking, while I did nothing wrong but tried to help the community. The publications about the tool that was driving traffic to my video and letting me generate some revenue for holidays were removed, moreover, big media posted the same thing that was in that misleading thread accusing me of all sins. Saying that I feel like <Mod Edit> - means say nothing. People who were roasting me for nothing with big enthusiasm, don' have the same enthusiasm to restore my reputation.

You're still a stain in the developer community. Attempting to profit off of people's ignorance while there is an open-source tool with even greater functionality than your own. You have no reputation to restore.

Dec 26, 2020
You're still a stain in the developer community. Attempting to profit off of people's ignorance while there is an open-source tool with even greater functionality than your own. You have no reputation to restore.

There is open-source Linux with greater functionality, but people prefer Windows. Attempting to make a profit by making a YouTube video about a free tool that help people... I'm so bad

Last edited:

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Made the new .ini file in cyberpunks directory with the dev graphics parameters. Not sure I see differences. Unfortunate for me I probably at the mid range and not see anything impactful. Did find a vehicle change to make cars more driveable just had to do with the sensitivity for pc keys but some cars still skate all over road. But some do real good.

ikra

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015

I'm a part time coder/developer and I don't feel like he stained anything. It's up to people as consumers to be informed enough to go and find a solution whether it be free, optional donation, or full payment. Blaming a single person for putting out another option out there, although you disagree with the modus, does not mean that you have to default to disdain.

I publish apps that are similar to othe free apps but people still download my apps (littered with ads/monetised/or pay for it) because I have a unique value proposition. Codezilla's work is pretty much the same, only difference is he's made the extra effort for "marketing", there are competing solutions but those competitors could have easily created a social platfrom to get theirs out there but decided not to. He's not even asking for a payment upfront, he's just monetising it (as a side gig to delivering a solution to the community) through his social platforms and there's nothing wrong with that.