Cyclic redunancy check error

adamuscze

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Hey guys, just had this issue with my HDD- cyclic redundancy check error.. I was playing a game and suddenly it crashed with this message, so I tried to test my HDD in HDDScan and I got these errors:
005 Reallocation Sector Count 084 084 0000000000-02BF 010
196 Reallocation Event Count 099 099 0000000000-002B 000
197 Current Pending Errors Count 097 097 0000000000-0075 000
198 Uncorrectable Errors Count 100 100 0000000000-0001 000
I dunno, does this mean that my HDD is "dying"? Especially the 198 (Uncorrectable Errors) worries me... Thanks for helping :)

Solution
Hi admuscze.

Unfortunately the drive is indeed dying. And to make it even worse, there's no way of predicting when this is going to happen exactly. It has accumulated bad sectors and this is starting to affect your regular daily usage. When bad sectors start to occur this won't stop and it would lead to the HDD's inevitable end, but it could take days, weeks, months or even more.
The most important thing is that you backup any important data which you might have on it, as soon as possible. After that you should either RMA the HDD (if it's still under warranty) or get a replacement.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD
Hi admuscze.

Unfortunately the drive is indeed dying. And to make it even worse, there's no way of predicting when this is going to happen exactly. It has accumulated bad sectors and this is starting to affect your regular daily usage. When bad sectors start to occur this won't stop and it would lead to the HDD's inevitable end, but it could take days, weeks, months or even more.
The most important thing is that you backup any important data which you might have on it, as soon as possible. After that you should either RMA the HDD (if it's still under warranty) or get a replacement.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

adamuscze

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

Thanks, it's not a big problem, because the HDD is older, but I'll probably have to buy a new one....
Again thanks for helping me out :)