[SOLVED] D-Link DIR-655, possible to connect exterior antennas?

GreenWitcher

Honorable
Sep 13, 2015
Hey there. I recently found that one of the antennas on my D-link DIR-655 has gone missing. I'll probably buy replacement ones, but I'm wondering if a coaxial antenna will work in the missing antenna's place. Is it possible to come up with a replacement by using regular tools?

Thanks.

Solution
Hey there. I recently found that one of the antennas on my D-link DIR-655 has gone missing. I'll probably buy replacement ones, but I'm wondering if a coaxial antenna will work in the missing antenna's place. Is it possible to come up with a replacement by using regular tools?

Thanks.
Those look like standard fittings. Low loss 2Ghz coax is expensive. You could get an antenna with coax, but the signal loss in the cable of a cheap coax connected antenna may negate any antenna gain.

That is a pretty low end router. It is single band (2.4Ghz only) and "N" standard. I would recommend not spending money on parts but put that money toward replacement.

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks.
Those look like standard fittings. Low loss 2Ghz coax is expensive. You could get an antenna with coax, but the signal loss in the cable of a cheap coax connected antenna may negate any antenna gain.

That is a pretty low end router. It is single band (2.4Ghz only) and "N" standard. I would recommend not spending money on parts but put that money toward replacement.

Solution
You should be able to find replacement antenna in many places. Since the FCC wanted to make it hard on people to connect large antenna the wifi antenna connection is different. This in some ways is good since any antenna actually designed for wifi should fit.