D-Link Problems - WEP/WPA-PSK Remote Access

Hi Ron, Insight,

Interesting about the constant dropping of the link. Maybe somebody
else is experiencing this.

As for the zero configuration, I tried this when setting up WPA-PSK. It
looked like the solution, but when running the Access Point was
invisible.

I tried to add the profile even though the AP was not showing, but it
still failed to work.

I have to admit that the performance of D-Link has left me cold. I have
set up wired networks easily, and left them unattended for years, but
this wireless stuff appears to be utterly unreliable, or simply D-Link
is utterly unreliable.

Can anybody else suggest a way forward that does not involve litigation
with D-Link?

Best regards

--
Donchik

It would seem that although WPA has been around for a full year now, that it
is still not ready for prime time with some vendors.

I have no real advice for proceeding. Litigation on such low-priced gear
will only give you a stroke. I can't imagine that you can get much on eBay,
but maybe. Even if you just throw it out, you really didn't spend all that
much.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Donchik" <Donchik.17vu6a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

> Hi Ron, Insight,
>
> Interesting about the constant dropping of the link. Maybe somebody
> else is experiencing this.
>
> As for the zero configuration, I tried this when setting up WPA-PSK. It
> looked like the solution, but when running the Access Point was
> invisible.
>
> I tried to add the profile even though the AP was not showing, but it
> still failed to work.
>
> I have to admit that the performance of D-Link has left me cold. I have
> set up wired networks easily, and left them unattended for years, but
> this wireless stuff appears to be utterly unreliable, or simply D-Link
> is utterly unreliable.
>
> Can anybody else suggest a way forward that does not involve litigation
> with D-Link?
>
> Best regards
>

> --
> Donchik

While searching the cosmos for some sign of intelligent life, I heard
Donchik <Donchik.17vu6a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> declare in

> Hi Ron, Insight,
>
> Interesting about the constant dropping of the link. Maybe somebody
> else is experiencing this.
>
> As for the zero configuration, I tried this when setting up WPA-PSK. It
> looked like the solution, but when running the Access Point was
> invisible.
>
> I tried to add the profile even though the AP was not showing, but it
> still failed to work.
>
> I have to admit that the performance of D-Link has left me cold. I have
> set up wired networks easily, and left them unattended for years, but
> this wireless stuff appears to be utterly unreliable, or simply D-Link
> is utterly unreliable.
>
> Can anybody else suggest a way forward that does not involve litigation
> with D-Link?
>
> Best regards

I'll give D-Link's tech support a shout this weekend. Maybe I'll get a
tech who's seen this before.

Insight

Hi Donchik!

Yeah I am having a very similar problem! With WPA-PSK configured my
link establishes and then drops, and then re-establishes, drops and so
on - in a 5 to 10 second window frame.
Except I am not using D-Link - I am using a brand new Netgear FWAG114
with a WAG511 card.
WEP works perfectly, but I cannot get WPA-PSK to work, I have
reconfigured it many times, so I am sure the key is the same - always
the same reults. It connects, shows a connection of 1MB then drops.

To be honest, I am new to the WPA stuff, and didnt really understand
what XPP had to do with it after seing the settings under Network
Properties - but this was never set to let windows configure it, so I
configured it via the Netgear tools.

Could it be something else other than hardware here thats causing the
trouble? maybe the famous 'ID ten T' problem (or better expressed as
ID10T) ;-)

Cheers
Eugen

--