D-Link Shipping 4 New Wireless AC Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "silo" design is prone to tipping, especially when multiple cables are plugged into it. It has some kind of proprietary mount on it, but nothing in the documentation (or even a template) about it.
The dual-band "N" (not AC) model I tested was loaded with features though, including all kinds of access control, Radius authentication, Guest networking, etc. It also has a USB port, although it's 2.0 and not as straightforward to set up and then use as other devices I've used.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Given the results of the first AC performance tests that THG did a while ago, I'd like to see how these compare, rather than just see them info-tized.

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
This is silly marketing. No one has a connection speed of 400mbps let alone 1300mbps. This isn't going to let you download or browse faster than your 65mbps router. The only time it will get you speed like that is if you're running a LAN with several computers and need to do some hefty file transfers or playing a LAN game.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm very interested in power dissipation specs, as wireless routers (especially bleeding edge ones) tend to run hot. This causes two issues for me - heat (during summer) and electricity cost (since I leave it on 24/7).

What exactly is the point of having 100Mb/s speeds without Gigabit ethernet?
Given most of the WiFi traffic over my WiFi router goes to the NAS, why the hell would you ever use "Fast ethernet"?
Plus, as I would guess that the WAN port is also 100Mb/s only, a fast fibre connection would be handicapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.