[SOLVED] DAC/ Amp combo suggestion for DT 770 250 ohm

Zaedalzayed

Prominent
May 12, 2019
I'm waiting for my DT 770 Pro 250 ohm to arrive, cant decide what dac to get
FiiO E10K (they say it supporst only 150 ohm)
FX Audio DAC-X6
Fosi Audio Q5

Solution
The E10k on high gain is fine for 250ohm headphones, I would guess the volume would be at mid or a bit past.

iFi Zen DAC is also a good one but a bit more cost.

I have the FX Audio one and there is a bit of a low level noise on it, it's not a silent when there is no signal as higher end devices. Still good audio and drives headphones, and for me the main point aside from the cost was the line out that I can run to my powered speakers.
The E10k on high gain is fine for 250ohm headphones, I would guess the volume would be at mid or a bit past.

I have the FX Audio one and there is a bit of a low level noise on it, it's not a silent when there is no signal as higher end devices. Still good audio and drives headphones, and for me the main point aside from the cost was the line out that I can run to my powered speakers.

Solution

Zaedalzayed

Prominent
May 12, 2019

Not really planning on using speakers in the future. Can't afford the iFi Zen.
Whats the deal with the low level noise?
i still can't decide between the E10K or FX Audio.

Not really planning on using speakers in the future. Can't afford the iFi Zen.
Whats the deal with the low level noise?
i still can't decide between the E10K or FX Audio.

When the volume is turned down or there is no signal there is a bit of a hum to the headphones, that is the low level noise. It's not bad to have, quite a lot of devices have it, but some people want a perfectly low noise floor.

Zaedalzayed

Prominent
May 12, 2019
Hello! Did it work out for you, is it driving them properly? I'm asking because I'm considering the same setup :)
Hello, yes i'm still using this setup and it seems to be working great.
i switched the jumpers to high gain, link: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5rk667/fxaudio_dac_x6_gain_jumpers/

The DAC/AMP is good, the only time i set the volume wheel at max is when i'm listening to music to get that bass feel, other than music i'd say 20% is enough for me.
I'm no expert so i don't know how much better a higher quality DAC could perform with this headphone, i'd assume i'm getting a very decent quality for the price. Good deal overall (y)

-if you decide to get it, make sure you switch the jumpers, noticeable difference.

Jul 11, 2020
Hello, yes i'm still using this setup and it seems to be working great.
i switched the jumpers to high gain, link: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5rk667/fxaudio_dac_x6_gain_jumpers/

The DAC/AMP is good, the only time i set the volume wheel at max is when i'm listening to music to get that bass feel, other than music i'd say 20% is enough for me.
I'm no expert so i don't know how much better a higher quality DAC could perform with this headphone, i'd assume i'm getting a very decent quality for the price. Good deal overall (y)

-if you decide to get it, make sure you switch the jumpers, noticeable difference.
Thank you very much for your quick, detailed answer it's been very helpful!
Best to you, and have fun with them! :)

Just keep in mind that if your headphones don't need the high gain to run them well keep it as default, high gain introduces some other issues for easier to drive headphones. For the DAC-X6 I would not go to high gain unless your headphones are over 250 ohm, you can also control the volume with the Windows volume as well.