Question Dad looking for help PC build on budget

Aug 2, 2022
I'm looking to do a gaming PC build with my son for his 16th birthday . I do not know the games he wants to play I have a budget $500 not including monitor or keyboards and mouse or pcu. I accidentally bought a evga 550 b5 pcu .I'm trying to find compatible parts in my budget with out asking my son question that would give it away. I'm out of touch since windows xp and 1's & 0's hopefully someone can help me out .

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Is the $500 in addition to the PSU you already purchased or including it?

Going to be a tight budget, particularly in regard to the "gaming" aspect.

In my own opinion, would probably go to Newegg. Search for an i3 and compatible mobo and then search something like the RX 6600 GPU to see if that comes in at your budget. I like to utilize Newegg to find parts and then search elsewhere to see if they are less expensive. Where you might be able to pull a 12th gen i3, given your price point it might be worthwhile to search back as far as 10th.
If you have a Micro Center nearby, they are a great place to find CPU/mobo combo as the CPU prices are VERY competitive and then they also offer an additional $20 off the mobo in a combo price.

More than likely a couple of members here will provide a complete build list. In your own searching, Micro ATX is the least expensive for mobo and for case choices.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022
Is the $500 in addition to the PSU you already purchased or including it?

Going to be a tight budget, particularly in regard to the "gaming" aspect.

In my own opinion, would probably go to Newegg. Search for an i3 and compatible mobo and then search something like the RX 6600 GPUto see if that comes in at your budget. I like to utilize Newegg to find parts and then search elsewhere to see if they are less expensive. Where you might be able to pull a 12th gen i3, given your price point it might be worthwhile to search back as far as 10th.
If you have a Micro Center nearby, they are a great place to find CPU/mobo combo as the CPU prices are VERY competitive and then they also offer an additional $20 off the mobo in a combo price.

More than likely a couple of members here will provide a complete build list.
Not including pcu or monitor .I'm about 45 mins from a Walmart and 3 hours from a PC store . Id like to buy online alot cheaper with the price of gas . And I like that "free" 2 day shipping. Lol.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In a super quick search:

H610 mobo $80
i3 12100 $130
Team Group 2x8 DDR4 $50

This is Newegg, but gives you a good idea of a start. You (could) go with the F skew for a savings but I don't recommend doing so. As an option you could consider one of the AMD G series but make sure to do your homework considering compatible mobo (in regard to BIOS).

You should be able to pick up something like a 1660 GPU for ~$200, or opt to look around at other similar performers. That would leave a tight budget for a case and an SSD to run it all on. At that budget you will probably have to consider a later update to more storage such as a HDD to store games on. Rosewill and DIY PC offer some workable cases for M-ATX in the $25-30 range. They aren't optimal but in (some cases) are better than a shoe box.

In a situation like this, don't overlook things like CL, Marketplace, LetGo and other similar situations. Buyer BEWARE with any of those but I recently sold a 2700X system with 1080 for $500 on CL.

Aug 2, 2022
In a super quick search:

H610 mobo $80
i3 12100 $130
Team Group 2x8 DDR4 $50

This is Newegg, but gives you a good idea of a start. You (could) go with the F skew for a savings but I don't recommend doing so. As an option you could consider one of the AMD G series but make sure to do your homework considering compatible mobo (in regard to BIOS).

You should be able to pick up something like a 1660 GPU for ~$200, or opt to look around at other similar performers. That would leave a tight budget for a case and an SSD to run it all on. At that budget you will probably have to consider a later update to more storage such as a HDD to store games on. Rosewill and DIY PC offer some workable cases for M-ATX in the $25-30 range. They aren't optimal but in (some cases) are better than a shoe box.

In a situation like this, don't overlook things like CL, Marketplace, LetGo and other similar situations. Buyer BEWARE with any of those but I recently sold a 2700X system with 1080 for $500 on CL.
What a I go cheaper on that he can upgrade in the future what should I got good quilty to start with?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hmm, well, this is the best I could manage, though it goes through multiple vendors:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($107.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock H610M-HVS Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB ITX Video Card ($167.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $449.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-02 18:35 EDT-0400

And, it doesn't count the PC case (at least $60 for one that won't drive you insane, more likely $75-$100), nor the Windows 10 license. Typically a Windows 10 license is $100, but, depending on the school system, the district might have a contract with Microsoft where they can get the OS license for free. Or, if you work in a school system, some school districts have a contract with Microsoft which allow a staff member to get a Windows license for $15.

It may be possible to put something together under budget by using a Ryzen 5 5600G or 5700G. Those chips have built-in graphics that are actually capable of some light gaming. But, I don't know what your son is interested in playing.

Also, it would help to know what the screen resolution is of the monitor that's going to be used. The lower the resolution, the less powerful the video card that is needed, though, in this case, I went pretty low.

Aug 2, 2022
I see the prices and names looking thru it . My question is can you upgrade memory if needed thru this actions and should I spend more on curtain thing and do it better now so he don't have issue upgrading as time goes on

Aug 2, 2022
Maybe we can bump it up few bucks a piece I'm seeing low end at $500 budget and that concerns me hate for him to have to immediately have to jump into up grades
Is the intel i5 10th gen better fond it on Amazon for like 129 but it said 400 series chipset only

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
One of the reasons I would suggest going as new generation as you can afford is that not only does it offer better performance for its generational gains but also allows an upgrade path with parts that should stay available for a couple of years. If Intel follows status quo 13th gen should be a possible upgrade.

Memory should be purchased in matched sets. If you go with one stick or only 8GB now it will likely turn into a replaced item later. 2x8 DDR4 is currently at a price that is hard to ignore. A gaming PC will perform better with dual channel memory so even if you decide to save money there, buy 2 matched sticks.

In my own opinion, if you were going to go over budget now, do it on the GPU and/or the PSU.

I'm looking to do a gaming PC build with my son for his 16th birthday . I do not know the games he wants to play I have a budget $500 not including monitor or keyboards and mouse or pcu. I accidentally bought a evga 550 b5 pcu .I'm trying to find compatible parts in my budget with out asking my son question that would give it away. I'm out of touch since windows xp and 1's & 0's hopefully someone can help me out .
I don't think your son will be happy for very long trying to game on a 500 buck machine.

As soon as he starts talking with his friends and trying some of the newer games it will be upgrade time.

A mid range cpu and gpu will be 500+.

I'm not a gamer or a builder so I don't have a recco for you.

Maybe something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $114.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $89.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $47.97 @ Amazon
Storage | Crucial P3 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $38.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card | $233.02 @ Amazon
Case | Zalman S2 ATX Mid Tower Case | $54.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $579.95
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-03 00:09 EDT-0400 |

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Maybe something like this...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $114.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $89.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $47.97 @ Amazon
Storage | Crucial P3 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $38.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card | EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card | $233.02 @ Amazon
Case | Zalman S2 ATX Mid Tower Case | $54.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $579.95
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-03 00:09 EDT-0400 |
That's not bad at all, though I've read the complaints about the Zalman only being that they use molex connectors for the fans. That can be awkward.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wait, the exhaust fan has a normal connector? (EDIT: yeah, maybe I should've watched the video BEFORE responding, LOL)

And, yeah, for that price, it's a compromise that's hard to argue with.

I'm also trying to figure out what the deal is with the S3 version, at the same price, with the same fan arrangement....

Last edited: