[SOLVED] daisy chain max resolution problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2020
I have a HP Z2 G4 mini desktop.
This has a Intel UHD P630 integrated Graphics card. No other graphics card.
I have a DELL U3014 via mini displayport connected.
My 2nd monitor a BenQ XL2730Z connected to the dell via displayport.

I use extended mode.

I want both on 2560 x 1600 60hz.
My first monitor shows max 2560 x 1600
but my 2nd shows max 1920 x 1080.

I use windows 10.
I updates all drivers for both monitors and graphics card.

Why doesnt it work?

Solution
Yes it is. When I connect the monitor directly i get 2560 x 1440 144hz. Super weird.
It's probably a limitation of the Intel GPU when using more than one monitor that the second is stuck at 1080p when both have different native resolutions. Have you tried running both monitors at 1440p in extended mode? 1600p will not work on the 1440p monitor unless there is some scaling feature in the Intel driver.
Jan 19, 2020
I connected the benq directly to the desktop and it gives me max reso at 144hz. Something goes wrong when i daisy chain it from the dell to beqn. I enabled DP 1.2 on the Dell.
Could it be the cable ?

Jan 19, 2020
I just saw that my mini desktop has a usb-c gen 2 port as well. Could I just connect the dell via that port with a DP to USB-C cable and then directly connect the BENQ to the displayport of the mini desktop?

The BenQ is a 1440p monitor and the dell is 1600p. You would need to run a custom resolution to run 1600p on the BenQ and even then I don't know if that is possible on Intel graphics as I've never tried. You could run 1440p on both, but then the Dell will probably look terrible.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020
Ye the problem is the BenQ right now shows max resolution 1920. I now ordered a USB-c -> displayport cable. And just gonna connect them non daisy chain way. Let's see if it works then.

Yes it is. When I connect the monitor directly i get 2560 x 1440 144hz. Super weird.
It's probably a limitation of the Intel GPU when using more than one monitor that the second is stuck at 1080p when both have different native resolutions. Have you tried running both monitors at 1440p in extended mode? 1600p will not work on the 1440p monitor unless there is some scaling feature in the Intel driver.

Solution
FWIW I agree with Third-Eye. Although DP1.2 MST can support up to 2 monitors @ 2560x1600, that doesn't necessarily mean that the GPU itself can. You might be limited to an equivalent bandwidth of 2 x 2560x1440 using MST or something, so by running the U3014 at 2560x1600, the BenQ cannot get to 1440p and 1080p is the next step down.

So I guess this begs the question. Why not just connect each monitor individually to your machine? It has 3 DP outputs.
hp-z2-mini-g4ports.jpg

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the upper 2 dp ports are slots for a descrete graphics card. Which I dont have. So they are empty slots.
From what I have found, all models of the HPZ2 Mini G4 have 3xDisplayport 1.2 as standard through the Intel graphics and will work with any DP 1.2 or newer cable. Instead of daisy chaining through the Dell monitor, just connect them both directly to the Displayports. Is the reason for daisy chaining because you only have one Displayport cable and a mini DP cable? Why do you need to daisy chain them anyway?

Jan 19, 2020
No this is not true. There are different variations of the HPZ2 mini G4. I have the High performance one.
This one comes with 3 slots of which the 2 upper ones for a discrete graphics card and the lower one for the onboard graphics card.

No this is not true. There are different variations of the HPZ2 mini G4. I have the High performance one.
This one comes with 3 slots of which the 2 upper ones for a discrete graphics card and the lower one for the onboard graphics card.
I see now, I missed it before. What you need is the HP Flex-Port expansion module model 3TK72AA. That module will allow you to add a second DP 1.2 port according to the documents I found on the actual product page of the Z2 Mini G4. It costs around USD $25-30.

Jan 19, 2020
Do you by any chance know what they mean with "no load"?

Optional Flex-Port: No Load (Options include: VGA/HDMI/DisplayPort™/2nd RJ-45/USB-C™ 3.1 Gen 2 Charging Port with Alt mode)

Do you by any chance know what they mean with "no load"?

Optional Flex-Port: No Load (Options include: VGA/HDMI/DisplayPort™/2nd RJ-45/USB-C™ 3.1 Gen 2 Charging Port with Alt mode)
I think it might be the part that covers the hole when there is no flex-port add-on module installed. I'm not really sure what it is otherwise.

Edit - I should also mention that although the module will add a second DP 1.2 port to the system, it won't make your 1440p monitor display at 1600p and you will still need a second 1600p monitor if that is the resolution you want on both displays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.