Question Daisy Chain Networking DHCP on 2nd Router only

priyankshishodia

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014
Hello everyone, i have connected three routers in daisy chain configuration.
Router 1 (gx titanium-2122a) from Airtel Input Fibre optic cable, IP - 192.168.1.1
Router 2 (Archer AX10 Access point mode) Input LAN from Router1 to WAN on this (DHCP disabled)IP- 192.168.1.2 (static)
Router 3 (Archer C6 Access point mode) Input LAN from Router2 to LAN on this. (DHCP disabled) IP- dynamic

Everything works fine. Now my router 1 is slow and what i want is Router 2 to handle all load. Can I disable DHCP on Router 1 and Enable on Router 2?

My guess is no. Not because it can't technically be done but consumer grade "routers" technically aren't routers and lack many of the features of a commercial router. The vast majority you can not set the gateway IP in the dhcp configuration, the gateway is assumed to be the lan IP.

DHCP does not really place any load on a router in home use. It is only really used when machine first boot and it is a tiny amount of traffic what is the major cause of load is the actually traffic itself and the NAT function if the router is not using a hardware assisted nat.

Why do you think the first router is slow. Almost all modern routers can pass 1gbit or more of traffic wan/lan even very cheap devices. If you are using wifi directly to the ISP router can you not just disable the wifi and use your other routers if they have faster wifi.

If you really want to use your other router as the DHCP function try to put the ISP router in bridge mode and set your router to be a router. If you can't use bridge mode you can run router behind router by changing the IP addresses so your router and the ISP router use a differnet lan network. Running router behind router though just pretends that the ISP router does not exist.