Question Daisy chaining power to a 7900 XTX

Cestral

Honorable
Oct 4, 2019
I have an MSI Gaming Trio Classic 7900 XTX and I'm getting driver timeout crashes every now and then. The screen will freeze for a while, only for anything using the video card ending up crashing, and I'll be greeted with AMD's crash report tool.

I have tried many different suggestions with registry edits and such, but nothing has fixed the problem.

Now, I've realized that I'm using only two separate PCIe power cables to the card. It requires 3 x 8 pin, and one of them is daisy chained.

My power supply is a 1000W Dark Power Pro 11. I have nothing else in my system that uses a lot of power. I just don't know if the card is getting too little power with this setup or if it's still plenty enough?

Other than that I have a 7 year old Windows 10 installation that previously ran Nvidia and an old Intel 7700K CPU (CPU is still the same). Not sure if that could have anything to do with it. I'll get Win11 and a 9800X3D whenever they get released. I'm just mentioning this as a possible other cause, but mainly I'm curious if my daisy chaining may be a potential problem.

Appreciate any help, thank you.

Last edited:

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
I have an MSI Gaming Trio Classic 7900 XTX and I'm getting driver timeout crashes every now and then. The screen will freeze for a while, only for anything using the video card ending up crashing, and I'll be greeted with AMD's crash report tool.

I have tried many different suggestions with registry edits and such, but nothing has fixed the problem.

Now, I've realized that I'm using only two separate PCIe power cables to the card. It requires 3 x 8 pin, and one of them is daisy chained.

My power supply is a 1000W Dark Power Pro 11. I have nothing else in my system that uses a lot of power. I just don't know if the card is getting too little power with this setup or if it's still plenty enough?

Other than that I have a 7 year old Windows 10 installation that previously ran Nvidia and an old Intel 7700K CPU (CPU is still the same). Not sure if that could have anything to do with it. I'll get Win11 and a 9800X3D whenever they get released. I'm just mentioning this as a possible other cause, but mainly I'm curious if my daisy chaining may be a potential problem.

Appreciate any help, thank you.
you will take out with ddu and in a safe mode the nvidia drivers and you will also put the third 8 pin on the card so that it works properly and it is good at some point to leave win10 and go to 11

Joseph_138

Distinguished
If you have 3 power connectors on the card, then you need 3 separate power cables coming off your power supply for them. Your card is likely trying to draw more power than your current cable setup can handle, during the times when it crashes.