Question Damage because of not wearing antistatic wristband?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hey guys,

I assembled my PC (i7 10700k, rtx 2070 super, win 10, MSI mpg z490 gaming plus, 32 GB ram, dark rock pro 4 cooler) and switched the parts often with other parts, like another cooler and stuff. I never wore an anti static wristband and never earthed myself besides touching the heating a few times. Now I hear a weird noise of my gpu, which was not there when i first tested the system. Could i have damaged my system? Otherwise it runs ok , altough the cpu gets very hot, 75 in most games (peak) averaging 65-75. When downloading stuff often 60 degrees. Idle mostly 45 degrees. I just bought the system new, should i replace all the stuff?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok I disconnected all the case fans and the hdd. The sounds are still there so I'm pretty sure it's the gpu. But one question, could a faulty motherboard also make those noises? Or a ssd? My ssd clicks sometimes when loading into a game for example is that normal?
I turned my PC on and off many times now for testing I hope I didnt destroy anything. And isnt there a way to see if it's my gpu without buying a second gpu to test? The thing is the noise is only when playing high demanding games like red dead online so I cant use the internal gpu for it

Last edited:

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Try to test your GPU on a different machine and check if the noise is still there.

As I mentioned before, noise will occur at certain rpms, for example, 1000 rpm is noisy but 1050 rpm is not. Also, sometimes it only occurs when the fans start spinning, that is why you don't hear it when you use Afterburner.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Yeah but I mean did your hear the cricket sound in the last post from me where I added an Audio file?, I mean it doesnt sound like spinning fans it sounds like a failure.
But I just ordered a 3060 for testing, so if the sound doesnt occur there I know it's my gpu. Dont have another machine unfortunately.
But would you also say ddr4 ram modules and a motherboard could make such noises?

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Yeah but I mean did your hear the cricket sound in the last post from me where I added an Audio file?, I mean it doesnt sound like spinning fans it sounds like a failure.
But I just ordered a 3060 for testing, so if the sound doesnt occur there I know it's my gpu. Dont have another machine unfortunately.
But would you also say ddr4 ram modules and a motherboard could make such noises?
Chipset fan can be noisy too

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok so Ive got an important question. Yesterday when I plugged out my Case Fans and the HDD for testing, i let the PSU Power cable and all the other cables (Mouse, Keyboard etc.) plugged in in the PC. Of course the PC was shut down, but I didnt earth myself again and just plugged the GPU out while all the Cables were plugged in. Could I have damaged my system? Because now I see like 70 degrees on the i7 10700k after 10 minutes in red dead online, with a peak of 75 after only 10 minutes :(. Yesterday it was 56 degrees after 10 minutes. Its so frustrating. Could I have damaged some parts and therefore increased the heat of the CPU and GPU? Because the GPU is at 71 now and rising, which was also better yesterday. Im really frustrated right now, and thinking about sending all the stuff back.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Ok so Ive got an important question. Yesterday when I plugged out my Case Fans and the HDD for testing, i let the PSU Power cable and all the other cables (Mouse, Keyboard etc.) plugged in in the PC. Of course the PC was shut down, but I didnt earth myself again and just plugged the GPU out while all the Cables were plugged in. Could I have damaged my system? Because now I see like 70 degrees on the i7 10700k after 10 minutes in red dead online, with a peak of 75 after only 10 minutes :(. Yesterday it was 56 degrees after 10 minutes. Its so frustrating. Could I have damaged some parts and therefore increased the heat of the CPU and GPU? Because the GPU is at 71 now and rising, which was also better yesterday. Im really frustrated right now, and thinking about sending all the stuff back.
It is either that you forgot to reconnect all the fans or maybe just a hot day

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
No the fans are all connected and ambient temp is about 27 degrees. But yesterday it was 27 too. So you say the CPU and GPU could not be so hot because I wasnt earthed and let the Psu cable and the other cables plugged in while switching the gpu and plugging out the case fans, or is it possible? And I played Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 now for 30 minutes and it averages from 55-65. But the highest peak right now is 78, is that ok? I really dont know what elso to do but these temp spikes are so weird, and often it stays at 70-75. I changed the CPU cooler, and the CPU itself. I think its time to change the RAM and the Motherboard, maybe it was faulty Stuff where I ordered it. I dont know what else to do.

Last edited:

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Ok and I just let Cinebench R23 run for 10 min, I have 12674 points and the highest peak was 84 degrees. It was 81 mostly. But thats too high right? I heard it shouldnt go over 80 in Cinebench, and this was only 10 min. I really dont know what to do now. :(

Ok and I just let Cinebench R23 run for 10 min, I have 12674 points and the highest peak was 84 degrees. It was 81 mostly. But thats too high right? I heard it shouldnt go over 80 in Cinebench, and this was only 10 min. I really dont know what to do now. :(

Its not too high but maybe higher than expected wirh a dark rock pro 4.

If ambient temps were around 27c again though it has a bearing.whne you see reviews on coolers generally ambient temp is kept around 21/22c degrees for testing.

Also you stated your ssd makes noise, that's absolutely impossible, there isn't a single moving part in an ssd drive.

What case are you actually using? , most of these issues sound like they could be vibration related rather than anything else.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
You have to understand that static cannot degrade performance, all it does is kill the components, and looking at the thread, no component is damaged therfore you have not damaged anything by static.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
@madmatt30
I'm using the bequiet pure base 600. With 2 front fans and 1 back.
I thought could the heat problem maybe be caused by a faulty motherboard, is that possible? Because when it arrived with Amazon it was not even in another packaging it was just the motherboard package itself and no good closure so I think it was maybe used and I should try another mobo. I have the z490 gaming plus right now, if I try the z490 tomahawk do I have to reinstall windows again and could it really solve the heat problem? Otherwise I would let it be. And about the ssd, yeah it's weird sometimes it makes a short click sound when loading a game for example. But Samsung magician says the condition is good.

@mamasan2000
Yeah the noise is still there then, I deplugged all case fans and the hdd, and the noise was still there, so guess it's the gpu

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
@madmatt30
I'm using the bequiet pure base 600. With 2 front fans and 1 back.
I thought could the heat problem maybe be caused by a faulty motherboard, is that possible? Because when it arrived with Amazon it was not even in another packaging it was just the motherboard package itself and no good closure so I think it was maybe used and I should try another mobo. I have the z490 gaming plus right now, if I try the z490 tomahawk do I have to reinstall windows again and could it really solve the heat problem? Otherwise I would let it be. And about the ssd, yeah it's weird sometimes it makes a short click sound when loading a game for example. But Samsung magician says the condition is good.

@mamasan2000
Yeah the noise is still there then, I deplugged all case fans and the hdd, and the noise was still there, so guess it's the gpu
Did you play with the fan curve or not?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
I switched the Motherboard to a Tomahawk, and still the same issue. I dont know what it could be anymore :( I dont think its the PSU because if I hold my ear to it, when the Case is open, it comes more from the GPU or CPU. But how could the CPU make that noise?
And I added the new sound the CASE its making its very weird. I dont know if its the GPU or the CPU, but when I switched to the new 3060TI, there was the same noise, so what could it be? And the clicking sound is my HDD, altough HWINFO says its not writing anything.
Its only when playing a game, like CP2077 or Red Dead Online , but only playing not in the menu.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
I switched the Motherboard to a Tomahawk, and still the same issue. I dont know what it could be anymore :( I dont think its the PSU because if I hold my ear to it, when the Case is open, it comes more from the GPU or CPU. But how could the CPU make that noise?
And I added the new sound the CASE its making its very weird. I dont know if its the GPU or the CPU, but when I switched to the new 3060TI, there was the same noise, so what could it be? And the clicking sound is my HDD, altough HWINFO says its not writing anything.
Its only when playing a game, like CP2077 or Red Dead Online , but only playing not in the menu.

Coil whine or HDD.

Just unplug all the HDDs please and test your PC out of the case.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Coil whine or HDD.

Just unplug all the HDDs please and test your PC out of the case.

You mean take out the MoBo and lay it down on a table and lay the psu beside and plug it there, is that not dangerous because of a electrostatic damage?

And I unplugged the hdd, the noise is still there. I bought the 2 SSDs a year ago and Samsung magician says condition good, could that sound really come from a ssd or a psu?
And now when I was changing the mobo and installing windows new the noise is still there. Then changing my old GPU with the 3060ti and the noise is still there. Where the heck is that coming from. I mean the new 3060ti cant have coil whine right? Or is it because cyberpunk and red dead online lays such a load on my GPU that it makes this sound? But after installing windows, my desktop goes sometimes black for a few seconds and the GPU makes an even weirder noise. Maybe I changed the components too often and now its worn out. I think my GPU is dying honestly. I try to call the supplier maybe?

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
I'll try but I think it comes from the GPU. Sometimes the screen goes black for a few seconds so I think its dying. But could the noise (which is only under heavy load when gaming) come from the gpu, even when I just tested a new one and it's the same there? It's very weird.