damage to CPU

Oct 16, 2018
Im new to overclocking and I increased the reference clock on my i7 8700k using Intels XTU software from normal 100.00 to 200.00mhz and clicked apply. System crashed but rebooted normally and reverted to default values automatically. I haven't noticed any issues so far. The question is; did i damage my CPU?
(I did not increase any voltages). Afterwards i realize that i proposed an impossible clock speed to my system and wont do it again, im just anxious to know if i have damaged or reduced its performance anyhow by doing this very stupid thing.

PaulieVideos

Reputable
May 16, 2016
No you probably didn't since it crashed to prevent any damage. You can't just double reference frequency and expect it to work. You basically forced the CPU to run at twice the default speed. If you want to overclock your CPU, use multiplier if you motherboard supports overclocking.

Most likely no damage at all - it is the voltage that kills CPUs, and everything else will just fail to apply, be unstable or restart / shutdown immediately to prevent damage. The method you used to overclock is completely wrong btw - you need to adjust only the multiplier of the reference clock, not reference clock itself.

Oct 16, 2018
Ok! Thanks for the answers. I will leave the referenc clock alone from now on. I realize i have not disclosed any other information about my system and will do so now

MSI Z370 A-pro
i7 8700k
G.skill 16gb ripjaws
Evga clc 280mm AOI cooler
Evga 850w G3 supernova gold
Gigabyte g1 gtx 1080
Evo M2 250gb ssd
Samsung 500gb ssd
fractal design define R6

This is my first attempt at building a PC. Is this ok to overclock on or do i need a better motherboard? I assembled this pc with the goal of playing videogames.
thank you.

racksmith101

Respectable
Your motherboard is fine for overclocking on, just change the multiplier though not the ref clocks. There are plenty of overclocking guides here on the forum, better to have a good read first before playing with the bios.