Question Damaged Files in Ext Hdd that can't be copied

Apr 20, 2019
Once I got a file that can be opened but when i copy paste it to another, the transfer rate becomes 0kb like forever and sometimes it says cannot be copy try again. Is there a way to check the list of these damaged files (if there is) in a ext hdd? Thanks.

My system:
CPU i3-8100
Ram 8gb 2400mhz
GPU gtx 1660 ti

If the drive is on the verge of failing, chkdsk could very well accelerate that process...

File might not be damaged, perhaps the drive is...(and when that happens, they can go downhill very quickly, sometimes only giving a few more scant hours of usable 'readibility'..

Check CrstalDiskInfo for bad/failed sectors pending...and if there are some....

I'd consider extricating whatever data you need while you can, skip the (hopefully only one) file known to have issues....

Apr 20, 2019
When I try to copy different files, there's no issue. But with the specific file, it fails. So I think the file is damaged. In this regard, is there a way to specifically know which files/s are damaged? Running chkdsk, doesnt give out log file so I cant really check which ones.

When I try to copy different files, there's no issue. But with the specific file, it fails. So I think the file is damaged. In this regard, is there a way to specifically know which files/s are damaged? Running chkdsk, doesnt give out log file so I cant really check which ones.

It's probably not the file but a disk issue in the spot the file is stored. Only way to know what other files may have the issue is to try copying stuff and see what works and what does not.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You can also get HD Sentinel from here, run it when external HDD is connected to the system and check SMART health tab.

As said above, running extensive scans on a drive that might be failing shortly might just push it off the edge. If there are bad/pending sectors or reallocated ones shown in the SMART tab the drive is failing.

Salvage whatever data you can while you can and in future take and keep backups.