Question Damaged PCI-E slot on mobo, BSOD, No gpu device found please help!

MozzaGamer

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
So I wanted to move my sound card onto a pcie slot between my 2 gtx 980 tis. As I wanted room for an internal capture card. As I was taking out the second gpu it managed to get half removed while the lock on the pcie slot managed to lock in and the last half of the gpus pcie bar was still stuck in. Managed to get the gpu out but the pcie slot on the mobo has come loose and slightly off the mobo.

Tried turning on the system, Nvidia control panel disappeared and does not open. In device manager the gpu says “device not working properly” with a yellow exclamation mark on the gpu in device manager. Tried uninstalling drivers, reinstalling, updating etc and nothing. Tried windoes updates and nothing. I encountered random freezes which leads to BSOD 2 times after 15 mins being on the desktop. SLI for my second card was also not recognised and the second gpu I had trouble getting out of the pcie slot, one or 2 of the gold “lines” on the pcie lane of the card have stripped off. So half of 1-2 of those gold small bars remain on the pcie lane on the gpu. Not sure if this damages the card or not. First gpu I never removed from the pcie slot and as mentioned above does not work. Currently only have the first gpu in my rig and extremely mad at this mess up and don’t know what to do.

Please help and tell me I can be saved from this mess :(

Pics of problems - grey pcie slot is the problem and pics of taken out second gpu:

View: https://m.imgur.com/a/lIXslnt

Gpus: GTX 980 Ti
Mobo: Asus maximus viii hero

Last edited:

MozzaGamer

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2012
I think there should be an pin (one pin) by the end of X8 slot if i remember correctly?

As mentioned, I think it got damaged which affected the main pcie slot where my first gpu is plugged into. I may need a new motherboard :( I don’t even know if my second gpu which is in the pics works because of 2 of the gold bars have stripped off in half.

I don’t think my warranty covers this and if I was to get a new mobo who could I get to fit it for me?

Reactions: RememberThe5th