Damn Saturday.....

longhorn2005

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Hi Guys,

Sorry for choice of words for the subject... but it seems that's how I can explain my day so far...!!!

I had 3.2GHz P4 (northwood) based on Socket 478, I was working in the morning when I smelt something really burning inside my machine, I switched machine off and opened it to found out, that my Graphic Card (Gigabyte 9800 Pro)is tosted. Well I also noticed that the heat inside the machine also melted my heat sink bracket which means that it is immposible to use my machine as Heat Sink on the CPU is not seated properly.

Well anyways I was planning to upgrade my machine with in next 6 months, so now I have decided to do it right now. I am planning to go for AMD 64 cpu but don't know what type ??? I know that there are couple of new sockets around.. but I don't care...

I just want my machine up and running by monday evening so pretty much whatever it takes.

I am going to get my graphic card back from the vendor as it was still in warranty period. So pretty much I am looking to buy a CPU n MOBO for AMD 64..

Any suggestions you guys have for me will be really appreciated.

CheerS

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by longhorn2005 on 01/29/05 06:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Hmm. Smithfield in 2 months, with EM64T. Toledo in 5 months.
Are you sure you dont want to just grab a new hsf, and watch the show for a while?
If not, abit NF8 and 3400 for s754 will give great power now, or Ga- K8NS-939 for OC, and power that way.
Name your favorite mobo maker, and we will name that board.

longhorn2005

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I mostly use my machine for programming stuff and sometimes I do play games on it.. I don't do anything to do with ripping videos.

I have always bought asus stuff, simply coz it is easy to get the updates of the drivers n stuff.

Thanks guys

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
You could try gluing a HSF to your cpu with thermal glue. That would pretty much rule out overclocking, but should work well enough. Its a bit of a waste IMO to throw a 3.2 northwood away.

Also.. you videocard overheated so badly it made the CPU heatsink brackets melt ?? Sheez, care to post a pic somewhere ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

longhorn2005

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Hi O1die,

Thanks for responding... I can replace the bracket thats no worries... but can I actually buy new one's ??? If yes do you have links to website selling those.

Cheers!

longhorn2005

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Thanks everyone for responding to my thread... I did manage to find a new bracket and all is good now... It did end up costing me AUD$ 300 hehehehe got extra 1 GB of ram... my machine is flying now with 2GB RAM :) Take that Visual Studio 2005

longhorn2005

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Thanks everyone for responding to my thread... I did manage to find a new bracket and all is good now... It ended up costing me AUD$ 300 hehehehe got extra 1 GB of ram... my machine is flying now with 2GB RAM :) Take that Visual Studio 2005