[SOLVED] Dangerously high 5900x temps

Apr 4, 2021
Got a prebuilt from CyberpowerPC so that I could snag a 3080 and 5900x. However, I'm facing extremely high temps on the CPU and feel like I've tried everything
  • Got a new CPU cooler, H80i V2 Pro
  • Re did thermal thermal paste, confirmed contact is being made. Pre applied thermal paste still gave same results so removed it and applied new, still same
  • Bought new case fans, confirmed configurations. Front fans are intake, top and back fans are exhaust
  • Cleared the dust
  • Felt the pump, can feel vibrations and seems to be working
  • Updated BIOS
  • Maxed out the pump and fans
  • Tried lowering the voltage on the CPU to 1.2/3 and did a stress test and it shot up to 100+ and shut down
  • PBO is on auto
  • Tried both CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT ports on the mobo. Manual said CPU_OPT was for water cooling so currently have it on that. Same result on either one

Idle temps are around 60-70 and it'll randomly shoot to 90+. Loading a game like monster hunter will bump it to 90+. GPU temps are perfectly fine hovering around 35-50. All the fans are working. Find it hard to believe that 2 coolers in a row are faulty but not sure what else it could be.. MOBO is x570 Gigabyte UD

Solution
Are you sure about that Karadigne?
With a 360 mm custom loop my 5900x sits around 30C at idle, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one with a 120 mm aio idling at 40-50C.

If we allow another 10C for poor ventilation of the case we're at 60C for idle.

Maybe I'm wrong and we can pull the temperatures down a lot with the 120 mm aio, but I'm a little sceptical - if you're idling at 30-40C you're doing pretty well and I just wouldn't expect that with a 120 mm for this CPU.

Of course, there's no harm in checking the bios settings and power plan settings, but I think the expectation here is that a more robust cooling solution is required to get good performance from that CPU. A 120 mm AIO just isn't good enough.

Absolutely sure, 100%...
D

Deleted member 2871437

Hi leeeetian,
those temps are high for a ryzen 9 5900x but not dangerously so.
I hate to say but I don't think a 120 mm radiator is good choice for cooling that CPU, not really enough if you want to push it.
you can fit a 360 mm on the front of that case, according to the website.
What's the maximum height for a big air CPU cooler?
Could you fit a Noctua NH D15?
Edit: I'm also a little concerned about whether you're getting good air flow through the case - there doesn't seem to be a lot of opening for intake at the front. Do you feel like you're getting good airflow through the case?

Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Hi leeeetian,
those temps are high for a ryzen 9 5900x but not dangerously so.
I hate to say but I don't think a 120 mm radiator is good choice for cooling that CPU, not really enough if you want to push it.
you can fit a 360 mm on the front of that case, according to the website.
What's the maximum height for a big air CPU cooler?
Could you fit a Noctua NH D15?
Edit: I'm also a little concerned about whether you're getting good air flow through the case - there doesn't seem to be a lot of opening for intake at the front. Do you feel like you're getting good airflow through the case?
Yeah I se single core hot 4.9xGhz opening Chrome with little spikes into the high 50s.
I was like WTF initially, but its just the way they are.
The Z63 keeps it cool even in the small NR200

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. And No.

The 5900x at idle barely uses any power whatsoever, well within the abilities of a 120mm AIO.
Idle temps are around 60-70
That's 90% of any issue. So what's the issue? CyberPowerPC add factory OC and there's no true idle but all cores sitting at 4GHz+ constantly? Airflow in the toilet? Pc parked on top of a heating vent?

Op is starting out with 60°C+ temps continuous, loads are only going to increase that. If idle was 30-40° and loads were 90°+, blame the tiny AIO all you want, but there's obviously something wrong somewhere if idle is so high to start with.

75F = 24C. That should equal, even with a Ryzen, idle temps ranging around 40°C with the odd bounce to @ 60ish°C.

I'd suggest taking a good look at bios settings, balanced power plan vs high performance etc. Wouldn't be the first time CyberPowerPC has done something stupid to settings just to make it appear better. If it was Intel, they do like to enable MCE, with Ryzen, not sure what they might have done.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2871437

No. And No.

The 5900x at idle barely uses any power whatsoever, well within the abilities of a 120mm AIO.

That's 90% of any issue. So what's the issue? CyberPowerPC add factory OC and there's no true idle but all cores sitting at 4GHz+ constantly? Airflow in the toilet? Pc parked on top of a heating vent?

Op is starting out with 60°C+ temps continuous, loads are only going to increase that. If idle was 30-40° and loads were 90°+, blame the tiny AIO all you want, but there's obviously something wrong somewhere if idle is so high to start with.

75F = 24C. That should equal, even with a Ryzen, idle temps ranging around 40°C with the odd bounce to @ 60ish°C.

I'd suggest taking a good look at bios settings, balanced power plan vs high performance etc. Wouldn't be the first time CyberPowerPC has done something stupid to settings just to make it appear better. If it was Intel, they do like to enable MCE, with Ryzen, not sure what they might have done.
With a 360 mm custom loop my 5900x sits around 30C at idle, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one with a 120 mm aio idling at 40-50C.

Maybe I'm wrong and we can pull the temperatures down a lot with the 120 mm aio, but I'm a little sceptical - if you're idling at 30-40C you're doing pretty well and I just wouldn't expect that with a 120 mm for this CPU.

Of course, there's no harm in checking the bios settings and power plan settings, but I think the expectation here is that a more robust cooling solution is required to get good performance from that CPU. A 120 mm AIO just isn't good enough.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021

Im on a 280 aio room is 21c ambient. Fan speed on curve has me at 675rpm and Im at +-40c
NR200 with a single 120 case fan at the top as exhaust at 750 rpm

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

Slap a 280mm or higher AIO / NH-D15(S) / Scythe Fuma 2 on that bad boy and you're good to go. 120mm/140mm/240mm AIOs are a waste of time unless you're making some compact build.

Also, 90C while watching Twitch streams is not normal no matter how aggressive Zen 3 is with temps.

Reactions: Bassman999
D

Deleted member 2871437

Slap a 280mm or higher AIO / NH-D15(S) / Scythe Fuma 2 on that bad boy and you're good to go. 120mm/140mm/240mm AIOs are a waste of time unless you're making some compact build.

Also, 90C while watching Twitch streams is not normal no matter how aggressive Zen 3 is with temps.
I agree, 90C while Twitching sounds too high; somehow missed the comment 'randomly shoot to 90+'.
Maybe there's something to fix here, and the recommendations for a better cooling solution seem right.

Maybe I'm wrong....
Yes, you're wrong.
In idle, every $30+ air cooler will keep any 5000 series CPU at about 10-12 degrees above ambient temperature (single intake and outtake fan, all fans at low rpm). If that's not the case, then cooler isn't mounted properly ("normal" PC case and ambient temps are assumed).

So, if someone starts with "my idle CPU temp is 50°C.." I don't even ask about other hardware he has. May advice will always be: set BIOS to default and remount cooler properly -assuming fans (and pump in case of water) are working.

D

Deleted member 2871437

In idle, every $30+ air cooler will keep any 5000 series CPU at about 10-12 degrees above ambient temperature (single intake and outtake fan, all fans at low rpm). If that's not the case, then cooler isn't mounted properly ("normal" PC case and ambient temps are assumed).
Looking at the temperatures on my system, the cooler is properly mounted and your claim is therefore not correct.
I have no doubt that a custom loop 360 mm radiator cooler does a better job than an entry level air cooler, so the disparity there would be even greater.
Rechecking the temperatures with the Bios set to optimised defaults is useful advice.
Asking whether the cooler is properly mounted is also useful - asserting that it must not be properly mounted if the CPU is more than about 10-12 degrees above ambient temperature (assuming ...) is potentially misleading.
The cooler is maybe just not up to the job.