Dark during movement in games, black flickering moving camera - GTX 1080

Hans_Gruber

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017
UPDATED

I just got a new rig on Saturday and I am experiencing black flicker in dark areas of games when moving my character or moving the mouse. I have tried different sets of drivers and cannot get to the bottom of the issue.

If I turn off full dymanic range off on my Samsung monitor it is less noticeable but it is still there.

I have a gaming laptop with a GTX 960M and when I launch the same game - Ghost Recon Wildlands and hook it up to the same monitor the same way via HDMI keeping settings at very high on both devices, I do not get his black flickering on the laptop. This HAS to be something wrong with my rig.

I have attached a short video of my monitor when moving around and moving the camera in the game. This only seems to happen in dark areas of the game where there are shadows.

Anyone got any suggestions? I am so close to returning the rig. I thought this might be a monitor issue so I ordered a G-Sync monitor last night, but I don' think this is a monitor issue if it doesnt happen with my laptop.

Can I also get reassurance that this is nothing potentially wrong with my rig? There is a 15 day return for refund policy.

--------------------

Rig:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/475436/G350_Desktop_Computer

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
Kaby Lake Core i7-7700K 4 GHz (4C/8T, 4.5 GHz Turbo, 8MB Cache)
16GB 3000 MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Ram (4x DIMM)
MSI Z270 PC Mate Motherboard
480GB SATA III SSD
GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X Graphics
Asus 24X DVDRW Drive
802.11ac WiFi + Gigabit Ethernet
Realtek ALC887 7.1 Channel Audio Out

Solution
IMO if I bought a new gaming rig and it looked horrible on a known good monitor I would bring it back. You just spent $1400 on it you shouldn't have to mess with it. Get it to the store, test it on one of their monitors, if its bad, get a new one. If its good then you know its your monitor or cable (which we know it probably is not).
'' Also, you're using a 1080 with a 1080p panel, HUGE waste of graphical power '' I assume that's in your opinion ?? and has nothing to do with his issue I guess you will tell me using my 980ti with a 19''crt monitor is as well ??

I see a few guys review that with there monitor looks like theres that chance you get one not calibrated well out of the box and can be a pain to got it right

for example
''The monitor is also glaringly bright by default, so expect to burn your retinas while figuring out how to change it. The Monitor has two "power saver" modes, but "Low" is also too glaringly bright, and "High" is too dim... there's no way to turn the setting on at all AND have the ability to set reasonable brightness. ''

''Colors didn't not look true (darks especially were not very dark), any amount of motion results in horrendous looking artifacts''

try to adjust from some of this here to see if you can pull it out

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php

if not maybe just that 1 in 10,000 lemons ? like benq ?

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Hans_Gruber : "Black flickering on screen playing games - GTX 1080"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Hans_Gruber : "Black flickering on screen playing games - GTX 1080"

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
IMO if I bought a new gaming rig and it looked horrible on a known good monitor I would bring it back. You just spent $1400 on it you shouldn't have to mess with it. Get it to the store, test it on one of their monitors, if its bad, get a new one. If its good then you know its your monitor or cable (which we know it probably is not).

Solution
may try to uninstall and reinstall the driver ? could be corrupted or bad ?? or try a differant / older driver as well

seeing the added content rogue moved over I would look at that and maybe the cable used if not the same used as with the laptop that seems to be fine on that monitor. .then you also got win-10 ???? its not known to work well and has its own set of issues

look this over and may have a useful tip ?

https://www.howtogeek.com/285277/how-to-avoid-washed-out-colors-when-using-hdmi-on-your-pc/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/978207/windows-10-has-messed-up-my-pc-/

like here monitor support under 10 ??

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19995230

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Hans_Gruber : "Screen goes dark when moving in games, black flicker when moving camera - GTX 1080"

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I merged them because you kept making them. Please do not make more.

Hopefully you're taking my advice above. If I paid $1400 for a new pre built rig it should plug in and go, not require me to mess around or replace a working monitor.

Hans_Gruber

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

Hi, yes it was initially washed out colors but now I am getting these dark flickers and constant darkness in shadows when I am moving around. The video is above in the merged post by the mods.

Hans_Gruber

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

I think I have no other choice at this point, I would expect it be at least as good as the gaming laptop when plugged in.

The strangest thing happened yesterday though which makes me unsure. I used Geforce experience to record a clip from the game where I was moving in and out of the shadow. I uploaded the video to youtube and watched it on my phone and my laptop and the issue isn't happening. How can this be possible?

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dl53O1SC38

just maybe a support issue with that Samsung monitor ?? seeing you ordered a new monitor now wait and see how it behaves unlike in the past todays new hardware you now got to support it cause they no longer support you , things aint so plug and play anymore and seems like a lot about getting you off any older hardware / software like how you seem to get forced to windows 10 for example or it may not fully work

you do as they want not as you need and why I went with a 900 series cause a 10 series does not support all my needs a 900 series or older still will

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Likely a bad output on the GPU. Or a bad cable but if you used the cable on the laptop we can rule that out.

Hans_Gruber

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

With the laptop most of the settings aren't adjustable in the nvidia control panel like color settings and gamma etc.

I dunno, my new monitor won't arrive until next week. I'll probably have to return the PC this week if only to test on another monitor in the store. In the meantime I'll keep trying to mess with the settings becacuse I thought the fact it looks fine on the GeForce experience video, basically tells me it's rendering properly and the monitor is the issue.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Not if the GPU has a bad output. And you know the monitor works correctly as you plugged it into your laptop (I'm assuming using the same cable)

'' I'll probably have to return the PC this week if only to test on another monitor in the store. '

if that's easy to do I would let then now prove it works as expected . I'd even bring the monitor you got issues with as well to show and tell or to let them hook it up to something to see if the same issues result ? let then try to honor there warrantee and service for a change

memzzhd

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018

Hey Guys I found a fix to this issue!

After hours of changing settings and drivers i finally found what was causing the issue for me.
In my Monitor settings (i have an ASUS VN247H) in the Image tab i found a setting called Trace Free which was set to 100. Once this was put down to about 30 it seemed to fix the issue with the random black spots and over sharpening whilst moving around in CSGO or LOL.

Newbie here so let me know if i need to change anything round