[SOLVED] Dashcam Advice

seymoorebutts

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Hey all,

Looking for some advice on purchasing a dashcam setup for my 2018 GTI SE I recently purchased. I'm looking for some advice here because dashcam haven't quite taken off in the U.S. like they have in other parts of the world, so it's a bit hard to find decent recommendations or testing for particular models.

I know that for my setup, I would want a clean look, most likely hardwired into the vehicle, and preferably close to, if not 360° coverage of the vehicle (I know this is achievable with multiple cams). From what I can tell, I should be searching for models that have decent resolution, fps, good picture quality in poor light conditions, and preferably motion activation/ a g-sensor to record incidents that occur when the car is off and parked (i.e. hit in run in a parking lot).

I don't need features like driving assistance, lane departure, blind spot alerts, any of that - I get most of that from my car anyhow.

I'm willing to shell out decent money for the cam(s), in my eyes it's a worthwhile investment to protect the car and possibly my wallet. Would like to keep it under about $450, but I'm willing to consider decent suggestions.

Let me know, or if there's already a decent thread or forum on this matter, feel free to point me there as well.

Thanks,
Butts

Last edited:
Solution
I have a couple in my Mini Cooper.
AUKEY for the front, and HaloCam M1 for the rear.
The HaloCam has 2 cameras, only one mounted so far. Still working on a mount and location for the second camera. May become a side thing like on Teslas, if I can make it look like "not crap".

AUKEY
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X

UnzQDUp.png

tw1oVgu.png

HaloCam M1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D371DRF

CWj3UPR.png

AThbhH3.png

(the black stripes are just the read defroster wires...the camera is shooting through the rear glass)

The HaloCam has GPS, and a snapshot remote. It was designed for motorcycles, but the...
Jul 6, 2020
Hey all,

Looking for some advice on purchasing a dashcam setup for my 2018 GTI SE I recently purchased. I'm looking for some advice here because dashcam haven't quite taken off in the U.S. like they have in other parts of the world, so it's a bit hard to find decent recommendations or testing for particular models.

I know that for my setup, I would want a clean look, most likely hardwired into the vehicle, and preferably close to, if not 360° coverage of the vehicle (I know this is achievable with multiple cams). From what I can tell, I should be searching for models that have decent resolution, fps, good picture quality in poor light conditions, and preferably motion activation/ a g-sensor to record incidents that occur when the car is off and parked (i.e. hit in run in a parking lot).

I don't need features like driving assistance, lane departure, blind spot alerts, any of that - I get most of that from my car anyhow.

I'm willing to shell out decent money for the cam(s), in my eyes it's a worthwhile investment to protect the car and possibly my wallet. Would like to keep it under about $450, but I'm willing to consider decent suggestions.

Let me know, or if there's already a decent thread or forum on this matter, feel free to point me there as well.

Thanks,
Butts
Nextbase 522GW Dash Cam (This is the best cam I have seen so far and I saw the reviews of nextbase people really loved it
This camera’s 1440p resolution produces the sharpest video we’ve seen. The 522GW is also very easy to use, and it’s one of the few cameras that can summon emergency aid after a crash.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a couple in my Mini Cooper.
AUKEY for the front, and HaloCam M1 for the rear.
The HaloCam has 2 cameras, only one mounted so far. Still working on a mount and location for the second camera. May become a side thing like on Teslas, if I can make it look like "not crap".

AUKEY
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X

UnzQDUp.png

tw1oVgu.png

HaloCam M1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D371DRF

CWj3UPR.png

AThbhH3.png

(the black stripes are just the read defroster wires...the camera is shooting through the rear glass)

The HaloCam has GPS, and a snapshot remote. It was designed for motorcycles, but the Mini Cooper is small enough to need something small, and with its own monitor.

Solution