Discussion Data Cyclic Redundancy Check Error possibly caused by CPU?

Pie_Crust

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2013
So I've been making a backup in WindowsRE from a HDD to another with my laptop as to not have my main PC on all night (1TB drive and very fragmented) to wipe the drive and pass the data back without the fragmentation.

About 600GBs in, I've started getting "Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check" or something along the lines. I've put the xcopy command about 5 more times (after each error) and files were being copied since the error showed up at different files according to the xcopy's console output. It was late so I turned off the laptop (note: the laptop is 14 years old). Today, I turned it back on to continue the file transfer after checking the HDD with my main PC (it was healthy. Fragmented but healthy. No CRC errors) but the laptop didn't turn on. It blinked showing an error code in the keyboard with the num and caps lock. Checked online, the error code means that the CPU didn't pass the POST.

I tried disassembling and cleaning the CPU and heatsink and whatnot, blew on it with a heatgun for about 5mins (it took 3mins to melt a piece of the welding wire spool, dunno how it's called in english), waited for it to cool down, reassembled the laptop, and same error. No image, no booting, nothing.

Could this CRC error be caused by a malfunctioning CPU? Remember that I was using WindowsRE and the shutdown function powers off the laptop. There's no shutdown process as you'd have with WindowsNT because the files are loaded onto memory and that's it, no more OS work.

I've finished passing the remaining files with a second laptop and haven't hit a single CRC error which makes me believe that the fault wasn't on the HDD but on the CPU. Any thoughts on this?

Pie_Crust

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2013
AMD Turion II M500. It wasn't hot when I was passing the files but it did have the tendency to set itself on fire when I was using Windows7 and playing a game at the same time and given that it's 14 years old, its death was somewhat expected but not passing files lol.

I already ordered a replacement which I luckily found for $8 USD but given how old it is, it could be faulty so I don't have very high hopes. This laptop has a dedicated GPU so I sure as hell hope I can revive it for at least a few more years