Data Recovery from Inoperative "clicking" WD 26400 Caviar ..

My WD 26400 HDD drive suddenly started making clicking sounds, initially at
10 to 20 second intervals ---- but soon almost continuously. Unfortunately,
I failed to back-up the data prior to its rapid demise. The drive now
'clicks' continuously with only power applied (data interface cable
disconnected}.

Operating system is win2k pro and the defective drive was driven via a
Promise Ultra controller. The drive is used only for storing archival data,
with no application programs installed on it.

Based on these symptoms, is it likely (or unlikely) that the data files can
be recovered if the drive is sent in for repair? The drive is probably out
of warranty.

I have four other Western Digital drives and this is the first occurrence of
this type of problem.

Thanks for any suggestions re data recovery from this defective drive.

Also posted to Western Digital forum.

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

"Charles V" <volkland@jps.REMOVE THIS.net> wrote in message news:<XMsqc.331$Tn6.154@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> My WD 26400 HDD drive suddenly started making clicking sounds, initially at
> 10 to 20 second intervals ---- but soon almost continuously. Unfortunately,
> I failed to back-up the data prior to its rapid demise. The drive now
> 'clicks' continuously with only power applied (data interface cable
> disconnected}.

Most probably it is a disk surface and (or) R/W heads damage.

> Based on these symptoms, is it likely (or unlikely) that the data files can
> be recovered if the drive is sent in for repair?

Old WD are one of most difficult drives in data recovery. Restoration
is usually possible, if process of destruction of surfaces has not
gone too far, but it will not be a easy work. And it will not be
cheap.

> I have four other Western Digital drives and this is the first occurrence of
> this type of problem.

This type of problem was very popular about 3 years ago. Look on a
tape on HDA sides (with inscription "Warranty void if removed") - it
is not damaged?

Leonid