[SOLVED] Data recovery problem from formatted HDD

georouv

Prominent
Jan 27, 2020
Hello, i accidentally formatted a hard disk drive with the manage disk feature in a windows 10 OS. I used a data recovery program,but because i had no space to recover my lost data, i saved them ,in the same disk in which i have lost them in the first place,in the same disk i accidentally formatted. The problem is that i could not open the data that i saw that were succesfully recovered.I googled after and saw that , this thing i did,recovering the data in the forrmated disk, was a huge mistake. I really need this data, it is very important, is there any way i can recover this data,with any device,any hardware ,any software? Paying some money is absolutely not a problem,so it does not need to be something free,perhaps if there is any hardware to fix this. Please any advice is very important to me even if you are not sure if it is going to work out.Thank you very much in advance guys!!

Solution
Multiple mistakes.

Yes, you NEED a different location (different physical drive) to recover to. Having formatted and then recovered to that same drive...a LOT of the original data is absolutely written over.
Gone.
Even to a paid recovery service.

You can try something like Autopsy, but I'd be absolutely surprised if you recovered all of it.

The real way to recover form an accidental format is with an actual backup you made before this accidental format.

USAFRet

Titan
Multiple mistakes.

Yes, you NEED a different location (different physical drive) to recover to. Having formatted and then recovered to that same drive...a LOT of the original data is absolutely written over.
Gone.
Even to a paid recovery service.

You can try something like Autopsy, but I'd be absolutely surprised if you recovered all of it.

The real way to recover form an accidental format is with an actual backup you made before this accidental format.

Solution

georouv

Prominent
Jan 27, 2020
Thank you very much for the information.I just want to ask you something also.When i use data recovery programs again in this formatted disk i see the data with their actual size, but different names, named like "file001,file002 etc" with their actual size on the disk. but i cannot find any way to open them,i can not open them with any program i used to open them.I mean they do not look like they are overrwitten,i see that they exist as size in the disk.But i just can not use them.So i want to ask this means their status is overrwitted ,destroyed ?They look like they are recovered,they exist but they are actually not existing??

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, "file001,file002 " is common.
That is recovering some of the bits and saving it. Not an actual file to be opened by some application.

For instance, file001 may contain several sequential lines in a text file. You can probably open that in notepad and read that partial data.
But "some parts" of a jpg/mp3, or even worse, an exe are absolutely useless.
You'd need the whole file, in its original configuration, to actually do anything with it.