Question Database of cpu upgrade

Oct 7, 2022
Hi, exists a database of cpu upgrade? I mean tested replacement of original cpu with newer/more powerfull? A list of laptop and tested cpu upgrades?
Personally I'm interested in old cheap laptop to pimp, possibly without soldering.

USAFRet

Titan
Laptop CPUs are rarely changeable.
And if it is, only within the same generation.

ex: 5th gen i5 to 5th gen i7.
Even then, the BIOS and cooling situation may not allow.

Changing to a new gen would require a new motherboard, which is almost never possible in a laptop.

Oct 7, 2022
My experience concern a hp pavilion g6-1352sl originally shipped with i5-2450m: tried with an i7 3840QM but computer do not boot, while with i7 2640M everything looks fine.
I've based my choice on ram type, TDP, socket type.
It's strange that I've been lucky to find the only pc that can be upgrade, the question will be it worth it? I don't know: I'm interested in the technical aspect, not the economic one, even if a quite old cpu turn out to be more expensive than I expected.
The paradox is that my HP pavilion has a whitelist in the bios for the wifi card so I can't upgrade that.

USAFRet

Titan
My experience concern a hp pavilion g6-1352sl originally shipped with i5-2450m: tried with an i7 3840QM but computer do not boot, while with i7 2640M everything looks fine.
I've based my choice on ram type, TDP, socket type.
It's strange that I've been lucky to find the only pc that can be upgrade, the question will be it worth it? I don't know: I'm interested in the technical aspect, not the economic one, even if a quite old cpu turn out to be more expensive than I expected.
The paradox is that my HP pavilion has a whitelist in the bios for the wifi card so I can't upgrade that.
It came with a 2nd Gen i5.
Makes sense that a 3rd Gen i7 would not work.

Assuming it actually works, is the change "worth it"?
Only you know for sure.

Aside from the curiosity aspect, what might you use this decade old laptop for?